Fill a sinkhole with cars - particles?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Fill a sinkhole with cars - particles?

Hi CGTalk,

Let's say I have made a nice looking car.
I've also made myself a big sinkhole. Now I want to fill that sinkhole with 10 of those cars, each car having a different color.

I can manually place the cars in the sinkhole, but that takes long and I want it to look real. So no car sticking through another car.
So I thought...maybe I can use gravity here
Can someone please point me in a direction on how to accomplish this with a particle system for example?

I hope it's clear what I mean...if not, just tell me and I will try to explain it better

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Ferry
Most updates here

Old 04 April 2013   #2
...anyone?
Most updates here

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Well, particles may not be the best way to go here, simply because you have so few cars, so you'd want it to look properly simulated etc. That said you could instance the cars to particles and play with rotation etc (this would be a medium amount of work, but wouldn't look good I think). However, you can do what Duncan detailed in a previous thread, which is to use several particles per object to very roughly approximate where/how they will orient themselves. I can't think of a direct link, but I think he may have detailed it in one of his Maya demos at the unfold event (those videos are now on YouTube).

However, a better solution may be creating a low poly version of the car and simulate it using ncloth/rigid body dynamics (or soft body? I hardly know anything about those, so I'm not sure, you may want to look into them though). The unfortunate part is that Maya's RBD system is slooooowwwww, so this may be rather time consuming.

That's just some general input, I've never done this myself, so I really can't be much more specific. Hope this helps.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by VB2341: Well, particles may not be the best way to go here, simply because you have so few cars, so you'd want it to look properly simulated etc. That said you could instance the cars to particles and play with rotation etc (this would be a medium amount of work, but wouldn't look good I think). However, you can do what Duncan detailed in a previous thread, which is to use several particles per object to very roughly approximate where/how they will orient themselves. I can't think of a direct link, but I think he may have detailed it in one of his Maya demos at the unfold event (those videos are now on YouTube).

However, a better solution may be creating a low poly version of the car and simulate it using ncloth/rigid body dynamics (or soft body? I hardly know anything about those, so I'm not sure, you may want to look into them though). The unfortunate part is that Maya's RBD system is slooooowwwww, so this may be rather time consuming.

That's just some general input, I've never done this myself, so I really can't be much more specific. Hope this helps.

Thanks..I will look into that
Most updates here

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread