Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
paulruk
PRO
portfolio
paul r
london, United Kingdom

Wacom tablet and Maya zoom/panning/etc

Hi All

Decided to try and use my wacom tablet more with Maya rather than just in photoshop but i`m really struggling with moving around the viewports with it. It feels like so much effort compared to a mouse. For example when want to zoom out from doing close in work i`m having to do 3-4 full vertical brush movements to zoom whilst pressing the pen button and Alt on the keyboard.

With the mouse i`m either using the mouse wheel or alt+lmb+mmb to zoom quickly in and out.

I dunno maybe i need more practice but as yet i`m working about a 1/3rd of the speed i did with the mouse. Anything i`m doing wrong?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulruk
Hi All

Decided to try and use my wacom tablet more with Maya rather than just in photoshop but i`m really struggling with moving around the viewports with it. It feels like so much effort compared to a mouse. For example when want to zoom out from doing close in work i`m having to do 3-4 full vertical brush movements to zoom whilst pressing the pen button and Alt on the keyboard.

With the mouse i`m either using the mouse wheel or alt+lmb+mmb to zoom quickly in and out.

I dunno maybe i need more practice but as yet i`m working about a 1/3rd of the speed i did with the mouse. Anything i`m doing wrong?

Thanks

You can set the speed in the Viewport Camera Tools. There are speed multipliers that you can set individually for Track, Tumble and Dolly.
I've gone ahead and made shelf buttons that set these for Fast, Medium and Slow nav. speeds.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

One other tip - stick with it. It took me about a week of regular use I guess for it to start feeling natural to use the pen instead of the mouse, but then it clicked for me and there's no way I'd go back to a mouse now. I can work much longer before my wrist gets tired/sore now and it feels much more accurate too, especially when posing a character or tweaking curves in the GE.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
paulruk
PRO
portfolio
paul r
london, United Kingdom

Thanks fellas! The camera tools fixed the problem.. Never seen them before , typical.

Yeah, reason i want to use the pen is i`m starting to get tired wrists after all these years of using a mouse. The pen feels much more comfortable to use, i just feel like i`m trying to pat myself on the head whilst rubbing my tummy at the moment hehe.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
f3rry
Keeping my sanity
dan fred
Afghanistan

Quote:
....Yeah, reason i want to use the pen is.......

Hahahaha... sorry looks like a funny typo....

Sorry...... Peace......

Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread