Paper Simulation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Paper Simulation

Greetings all! It's been a while since I posted on here, but am in need of some assistance on a shot of mine. I am needing to create a simulation of paper blowing from a stack, and one sheet of paper needs to fly in front of the camera (using that as a transition).

My VFX career has mainly been focused around compositing, and my Maya/3D skillset has been lost in the wind somehow. So this is why I am looking for some advice.

I was thinking of using nCloth for the paper, but am really at a loss of which attributes best control the characteristics of the sheets of paper.

I have a basic setup (really basic) which includes 1 poly plane, fairly dense, which is set up as a collider with a cube, just to figure out the settings I use. I have adjusted the rigidity, thickness, and friction a little, but am kinda lost.

I would really appreciate any advice you all can give. Thanks.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
check PaperAirplanes.ma/RoundConfetti.ma in the visor. For your 'hero' piece of paper (the one in front of the cam) so a basic rig with either bones, bends or other nonlinear deformers

Old 04 April 2013   #3
here's a scene I used a couple of years ago, it uses ncloth and dynamic constraints to animate the sheets... it's far from perfect and I rendered the sheets separately and composed back in order because the sheets compenetrate each other and could figure a way to solve it

maybe it's of use

download here

Old 04 April 2013   #4
I tried a setup similar to that, except the poly plane were deforming very unpredictably. Did you just animate the constraints? I assume those are nConstraint > Transform?

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Don't use the rigidity attribute for paper... Instead make the stretch/compression/bend high and the substeps high(if your mesh is dense). Adjust the bend resistance to the desired flexibility. If you need to have the paper follow a general path you could animate the position of the original plane and use a small amount of input attract. (too much will not look as natural) If you want the paper to be able to crumple and "remember" folds then make the restitutionAngle low... say 5.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread