Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Post WIP Challenge! - Playing Card Designs - Winners Announced!!

List of Cards & Participants
Below you will find a list of cards and the artists who have started working on each particular card. By clicking on the artist's name you will be redirected to their particular WIP thread.

If you are planning on joining in this challenge, you can choose any card that you would like to work on and you can do multiple cards if you wish. However, we'd appreciate if you would choose one of the cards not currently being worked on so that we can get enough illustrations done to complete the full deck.

The 3D and 2D lists will be kept separate during the challenge, but we may combine the two lists if member participation is not sufficient to complete a 54 card deck.

Jokers
R - 3D MythBred
B - 2D secretasianman

Hearts
2 - 2D Silental
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 - 2D tibbi
8 -
9 -
10 -
J - 2D Avalander
Q - 2D dawnlincoln
K - 2D Janderson87
A - 2D igorbraulio

Diamonds
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -
J - 2D HerbalGerbil
Q - 2D lapislazuli
K - 2D silvagus
A - 3D AJ1

Spades
2 -
3 - 2D Kirt
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -
J - 2D Williamwinkler
Q - 2D Anisha
K - 2D JeffPerryman
A - 2D rrogerscg

Clubs
2 - 2D kromano
3 -
4 - 2D koager
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -
J - 2D jats
Q - 3D Pangloss
K - 2D Tr0w
A -

Last edited by Kirt : 08-13-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Deadline August 31st 11:59pm PST

OK, I'm opening up this thread for final entries. Post your image in here when you are done. Anything after the deadline won't be considered in final judging.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Anisha
Artist

portfolio
Anisha Nagpurkar
Artist
http://thevioletwall.com/
Mumbai, India

Here posting my final Entry. Wish I could have done more cards. But here is the Queen of Spades for now. I have purposely used the contrasting color Red as oppose to the usual Black representing Spades.

The player who ends up with the Queen of spades after a match scores 13 points (points are to be avoided in this game). The exception is when the player receives this card with all 13 hearts, in which the player is said to have shot the moon, and this player scores no points, while all opponents are scored 26 points.

The Queen of spades is usually considered an unlucky card.
Thus showing her Dark & Eccentric side. A Card of Death (player out of the game)

I was not sure how far i can go with changing BG color. so i am posting both images for now. Thx a Lot. Cheers everyone !

Old 08-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
jats
portfolio
Igor Ivanov
none
St.Petersburg, Russia

Pirate

Thats my card, hope you'll like it.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Nocte
portfolio
Poland

Hi,
this is actually my first post on CGS. I just regret that I found about this challenge so late and couldn't make any more entries.
So this is my version of Ace of Clubs. I decided to treat "club" in a quite literal fashion and then picked a character that would be most proficient with clubs
Wanted to do "Queen of Clubs" as a girl in some bar with shots and stuff, but sadly - didn't have time.
So I hope you'll like it. Thanks for a fantastic chalenge!

Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
dawnlincoln
portfolio
Dawn Lincoln
London, GB

Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
Silental

portfolio
Ona Smitaite
Lithuania

Here is my entry. Got a bit confussed with time zones, hope it is not too late

Old 09-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #9
koager
Graphic DemiGod Trainee

portfolio
Andy Wu
Texture Painter, Lighter
Academy of Art University
San Francisco, USA

4 of Clubs

Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

First I'd like to congratulate everyone who was able to complete their image in time for the deadline. I know it's not easy to do when trying to balance other obligations and recreation time. Even though participation was low in this challenge (not a lot of images and comments in WIP threads), we all stuck with it and got it done. Great job.

(Also, apologies for the wall of text below)

Picking a winner is difficult when there are only a handful of completed images submitted. I want to say everyone is a winner, but since prizes were promised I have to determine who we need to mail stuff to. So, I've made a decision. However, I'd like to offer some discussion of the work submitted and give my rationale for who I chose as winners. In order by the timestamp the work was submitted ...

Anisha - I really like the information that you provided with your card and tying the card to the game of Hearts gave an excellent back story for the card and design. Overall, great layout of the card and the dark card is an interesting alternative design. I think the illustration could be made more interesting with more highlights to counter the darker areas of the card. Some lighting on the face, for example, could really accentuate the character and make it pop away from the background. Also, watch for tangents in your design. The strands of hair touching on the borders or card text is distracting from the illustration.

Kirt - Just so you know, I did my illustration just for fun. My illustration was not considered in the final judging. If anyone cares to critique or offer suggestions for improvement, you can leave them in my thread.

jats - This one amuses me for some reason. I can't tell if the pirate is surprised, happy, or gleefully watching someone being torn limb from limb by a giant octopus. I read the comments in your thread and the same was mentioned, but I actually think it works well like this. Not all illustrations have to tell a story and are just fine leaving the story up to the viewer to determine. To improve the image, I'd have (maybe) tried to add some sort of accent to give it a little more punch. Some bright colors or trinkets of interest on his costume would maybe draw the viewer in for a deeper layer of internal story telling.

Nocte - I really like the character and warm colors that you used in this. You have a noticeable skill with lighting and it shows in this piece. Great details in the face which draws the eye directly there. Unfortunately, you altered the design of the card too much to be considered (it was all in the rules) and also didn't run a WIP challenge thread (kind of the point of this exercise). So, I didn't consider this a valid entry to be considered for prizes. Sorry, it's a great illustration and I encourage you to participate in the next one.

dawnlincoln - This one followed a classic layout design of a face card with the mirrored character. These are difficult to pull off well so I commend you for giving it a go. I've been working on an illustration in the same style and have been having issues getting things to look, for lack of a better term, "not weird." What works on yours is that the lace background looks really elegant on the card and the area of the head has good contrast to draw the viewer into those big eyes. If you could find the time to work on the missing right arm and lack of contrast in the lower half of her body I think you could improve this 100%. I'd start by moving her elbows and arms out more so there is more mass towards the middle of the card. An addition of some sort of shoulder accessory (fur showl, shoulder adornment, jewelry?, etc.) to bring a little of that mass upwards would help too. Finally, she has a bit of a vacant gaze in her eyes that I'm not sure if it was intended or not. You should try some other positions of her eyes to see how it looks. Try looking at the viewer ... it might work.

Silental - One of my favorites even though I have no idea what is going on here. I'm not going to hold that against you though. It's abstract-realism and that's OK with me. Great textures, lighting, and design. You can almost feel the pressure constraining the heart if it were to suddenly start beating. Creepy cool. If I were to offer any criticism of this I would recommend trying to get away from blacks as a dark value. Try some other color combinations and see if it looks more alive and less 'muddy'.

koager - I liked your idea here and really feel that the concept has potential. The club theme is echoed in the 'lure' and you only just missed on getting 4 creatures in there. So kudos for the idea. So, to improve this ... I'd play around with the layout some more before committing to finishing touches. You should have at least recognized that the club could have been echoed better by turning it so it showed face up. Getting a forth creature in there would have helped with the idea also. You have plenty of space available there in the middle and it all ended up as a black ink splotch. Which is unfortunate, because that's all you really notice about the card at a quick glance. More emphasis needs to be put onto the character, creatures and the lure. The gimmicky splotching around the border aren't doing the image any favors either. Best to save that for images that make sense to use it (which in my opinion are few and far between). Hopefully, you stick with this and continue to improve in future challenges. The idea alone, is worth the effort to pursue this further. Good luck.

And so, having said all that ...

I hope you all appreciate the critique and explanations of what I was considering while picking a winner. Don't get used to these critiques for the next challenge, they take a while to write and I just don't know if I can do that for everyone if we had had fifty four participants (like I was expecting). Finally, without further ado, I award prizes and honors to:

FIRST PRIZE - jats, Jack of Clubs
SECOND PRIZE - Silental, 2 of Hearts
THIRD PRIZE - dawnlincoln, Queen of Hearts

Clear your PM boxes and make sure you have it set to accept incoming messages. Someone will be contacting you shortly with information on how you can claim your prizes that were offered. For future challenges, (and your information) I doubt there are going to be prizes unless participation goes up exponentially. There really wasn't enough participation in this one to justify the costs, but I think it's only fair to award the prizes since they were offered.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
dawnlincoln
portfolio
Dawn Lincoln
London, GB

Kirt, thank you very much for taking the time to give detailed feedback. There are some great suggestions in there, and I will certainly be trying them out.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

as i figured, nowhere near full deck

Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchain
as i figured, nowhere near full deck

Where's yours?

Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread