WIP VRAY Lighting/Rendering Issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
WIP VRAY Lighting/Rendering Issues

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this scene. I have been trying to learn how to use Vray and have been following a tutorial on digital tutors on how to render and light an interior scene. I have got to the stage where the scene should be looking reasonably realistic but im having some trouble as you can see. In the tutorial the windows appear bright white as if sun is pouring through them, but mine appear black. The contrast and colours also are giving a strange look to the image and there is also noise issues.
Im using a Vray demo and for some reason it keeps resetting my render settings, these are the main render settings i am changing:

-Enable built in frame buffer- on
-Image sampler - Adaptive DMC
-anti aliasing filter - vraySincFilter
vray colour mapping

dark multiplier- 0.8
gamma - 2.2
sub pixel mapping- on
affect background - on
dont affect colours -on

GI- on
primary bounces- irradiance map
secondary bounces - light cache
HSPH subdivs - 100
vray light cache - 0.01

noise threshold - 0.008

The other settings I leave unchanged.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House_InteriorTEST_Compressed.jpg (25.5 KB, 57 views)

04 April 2013
The trial of vray resets settings automatically everytime you restart 3ds max.

04 April 2013
It seems to reset them everytime I render, which is getting quite frustrating!

04 April 2013
Do you use Vray much? Do you recommend any settings thy might improve the scene?
Any feedback is appreciated!

04 April 2013
Hey man,

Could you post a few larger renders of your image? It would also help to have a screen grab or two so we could see your whole scene and light rig.

From what I can see in your thumbnail, things look too bright. I cant tell if your going for a sunlight only scene, or if you've got interior lights on, or if there are other windows in the scene. Some more information would help us to better help you.

-AJ

04 April 2013
Hi AJ,

After doing a bit of research I adjusted some of my settings. I now have the following image..

http://i.imgur.com/rwcC547.jpg

This is a big improvement over the last render, however it still looks a little off..

The scene was supposed to look like it was lit entirely by sunlight but in the tutorial he uses interior lights as well (his scene looks like there is only sunlight in the final render). I am still confused as to why the windows appear completely black. What would your usual set up be for a scene like this?

this is an image of my scene as well with the walls hidden. There are lights in the main light and lamp.

http://i.imgur.com/AItGDoB.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Jack

04 April 2013
You can lookup some of Aversis free tutorials. They really show some important basics. It's done with an older version of vray but it's all the same.

The "Gamma 2.2 setup in Vray" is a must read!

Good luck!

http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray/index.htm

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread