Nennad
Edge manipulator

portfolio
Nenad Pantic
illustrator
Greystones, Ireland

Sacred water temple

Concept environment art

The current state is about half-way where I want to end this piece. Photoshop w/ Cintiq 12.

C&C welcome

Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
BillyWJ
Frequenter
portfolio
William White
www.FusedArts.com
Katonah, United States

I would urge you to define your edges more - architecture needs to be clean and sharp, even if it's ruins - it helps focus the objects for the eye, and draws attention, and simply looks better. Either work at a higher resolution, or use a smaller brush, with a hard edge. (hint, holding down the shift key contrains the brush to a vertical or horizontal line, and if you click on a point, hold down the shift key, and click on another point, Photoshop will draw a straight line between the points). You have a nice selection of tools in Photoshop for selection and isolation, and drawing paths to get your edges straight and clean.

It's too late now, but I would also have chosen a different perspective, this view is somewhta bland and flat.

You're also adding far too much detail, detail that would not be visible at this distance, and it feels cluttered.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Nennad
Edge manipulator

portfolio
Nenad Pantic
illustrator
Greystones, Ireland

Billy thanks, I am heading that way (more cleaner edges) in next iteration, I am about half way there where I will feel comfortable. But thanks for valuable suggestion. Things will be definately a little more polished, though I would like to keep somewhat shivery feel.

Clutter and perspective (almost isometric) is really itentionally chosen - it has to be descriptive more than take on effect and realism - it is more of kid's fantasy than a next-gen piece. Clutter aims to reproduce style of medieval cluttered town architecture with narrow streets.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Is the central building illuminated by the water? Does the building have other light sources? Near the top it looks like there might be some lights.

If the water is the main light source, you'll have to define your lighting a bit more on the central building itself. It's obvious enough on the surrounding the building, but the central building seems a bit vague.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Nennad
Edge manipulator

portfolio
Nenad Pantic
illustrator
Greystones, Ireland

Lunatique,

By the description, the shrine is iluminated by the relic in the center (that fountain). No lights outside on the shrine so far, that at the top are windows bursting with light from inside. I agree lights are overpowered and undefined As I am not trying to achieve complete realism (it's more kids fantasy), I think lighting will not be completely accurate
That outside are artificial waterfalls and there is also one big waterfall inside. I think I will keep them very bright, to get feeling of iluminated/light emanating water. Also, I do not bother how such massive water comes from there (let's say, the dome is container ?)
Whole scene is intendent to look dreamy.

But those suggestions will be precious in finishing the piece, thanks!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Nennad
Edge manipulator

portfolio
Nenad Pantic
illustrator
Greystones, Ireland

Some defining/detailing/polishing on city buildings... lots of work for a small outcome

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread