What graphic cards for Nuke?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
What graphic cards for Nuke?

Hi. I was assigned to build a PC for our lead compositor who works primarily in Nuke. Any suggestion which graphic card to choose? Do Quadro have any benefits? We do relight from world-space and normal pass, but no loading OBJ in Nuke.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
did you get a budget?... cause that would have been the first question out of my mouth..

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/product...ments/#winlinux

Old 04 April 2013   #3
https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/produc...m-requirements/
NukeX GPU nodes only work on nVIDIA cards. As there's a fair bit of DP FFT in some heavier nodes, 6xx will tend to perform poorly (artificially so) compared to quadros. Titans won't (perform poorly).
Pretty much all of them will work without glitches though.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thanks everyone. The budget is around $3k usd, I'm aiming for an i7 3930k with 3s Gb of RAM.

Looks like the GTX 6xx cards have even more compute capability than Quadro. What does compute capability do? Any benefit using GTX 6xx?

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by Panupat: Thanks everyone. The budget is around $3k usd, I'm aiming for an i7 3930k with 3s Gb of RAM.

Looks like the GTX 6xx cards have even more compute capability than Quadro. What does compute capability do? Any benefit using GTX 6xx?

It's not a measure of power, it's the versioning of the available features. It depends solely on generation.
If you take notice, the k5000 quadro is up to par with the 6xx because they are both kepler cards, so is the k500 mobile.

The 6xx gaming cards generally do well, but they are crippled in double precision computes, and plenty FFT operations are DP implemented. In those cases, the Titan or the k5000 will pull ahead (as we as in other cases where DP performance matters).

Which nodes and to what extent rely on that in Nuke I honestly don't know, but FFT is a cardinal operation in image processing, so chances are quite a few, and since they are CUDA accelerated they will most likely use the cuFFT libs, which perform poorly on the 6xx gaming cards.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
do you do stereo3d stuff? when the answer is yes, you will need a quadro for the stereo3d preview in the viewport.

otherwise the GTX ones are great

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Originally Posted by Panupat: Thanks everyone. The budget is around $3k usd, I'm aiming for an i7 3930k with 3s Gb of RAM.

3GB of RAM for a compositing machine? That sounds like suicide. 32-bit EXR comps on my machine regularly push 5 GB just for the application itself. Unless you mean VRAM, which I don't think matters much for Nuke.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by cgbeige: 3GB of RAM for a compositing machine? That sounds like suicide. 32-bit EXR comps on my machine regularly push 5 GB just for the application itself.

I assume the 3s is a typo for 32.

Quote: Unless you mean VRAM, which I don't think matters much for Nuke.

For the NUKEX GPU nodes it does (edit: I assume it should), on a large enoguh comp the tabling of some ops can grow quite large, and having space to spare for those with variant input with many feeds should make a difference.

I have to say I don't have direct experience with it, haven't had a crack at Nuke 7 yet, but I have enough CUDA and graphics processing experience to know the ops common in comp are very easy to build some pretty damn large pages and datasets with, especially with generic models.

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 04 April 2013 at 04:25 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Originally Posted by cgbeige: 3GB of RAM for a compositing machine?

Sorry, I meant 32 The 2 turned into an s for some reason.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
The nuke/hiero guys here regularly go into 50Gb and more used ram territory - Nuke will use as much as is there, I'd say go with 64Gb if that's the main purpose of the machine.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
If he's going to be doing any stereo work at all, you're going to need a Quadro card to get the quad buffered stereo support for the display. That's really the only reason to go with a quadro over the GTX.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Hi everyone.
So far this is the build I'm aiming for

i7 3930k
P9x79 WS
64 Gb ram
GTX 670
2x2TB Black
Seasonic 850W

Turned out a bit cheaper than I thought - about $2,400 usd so far

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Your compositor would be very grateful if you added a decent size ssd to use as a working project drive - like the 512 Gb samsung 840 pro. Depends if he plans to be sourcing from the network all the time I guess. I would at least add a 256Gb ssd to use for windows/program loading.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread