Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
[Forum Leader]
CGTalk Forum Leader
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA
Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Intro to Art Books for - I need Suggestions (I am giving a talk to Middle Schoolers)

Hey Guys.
I am giving a talk to a group of kids in middle school interested in becoming professional artists,
and I need some Book suggestions.

I am looking for books in their age range on
Animation, CharacterDesign, Illustration, Art Theory, Art History, Graphic Design,
Typography aimed at middle schoolers.
I plan to give out a suggested readin list at the end of the talk, and any help would be appreciated.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
John R.
Provo, USA
You ask a tough question. When I was in middle school about the only art books that could hold my attention were something like How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. My daughter who is in 10th grade and is becoming a good artist, when in middle school, gravitated towards simple art books with titles like "how to draw horses" or "how to draw dragons". They were simple, they were about something she was interested in, and they occasionally taught some basic art principles as well. She drew what was in the book, felt some success, then would try to apply it to her own animal or creature. This has helped to keep her enjoying art. She also enjoyed books that were artistically inspiring. Now she is consulting art books that are more principle or technique driven, but if she had tried these earlier, it may have been to overwhelming to start.

Good Luck.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Daddy x 4
CGSociety Member
Wyatt Harris
Baton Rouge, USA
I always liked Mark Kistler's books but they are geared more towards elementary school. Even so they cover very sound principles of art.

Middle school, not sure about that. We graduated to the hard liquor at that point.
HMC: Model Collection
WIP: Harris Nut House
WIP: WarCraft Troll Dig it!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread