Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
FyreFlare
Frequenter
portfolio
FyreFlare
United%2BKingdom

Basic HDRI questions - Format for HDRI

Hi i know there is loads of information about IBL and HDR - but ive done some searching and reading and still cant find any answers to a couple of simple questions, so was wondering if someone could answer these for me:
When shooting images for IBL what is the correct format to shoot in? I'm guessing jpgs and raw are no good?
Is it possible to use normal panoramas, shot with a wide angle lens, ie non-fish eye or chrome ball images to achieve acceptable IBL setups?
Thanks

Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by flares
When shooting images for IBL what is the correct format to shoot in? I'm guessing jpgs and raw are no good?

Either will do. Raw generally gives better results but it's perfectly acceptable to use JPG files. If shooting JPG, you'll probably want to shoot a larger set of bracketed exposures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flares
Is it possible to use normal panoramas, shot with a wide angle lens, ie non-fish eye or chrome ball images to achieve acceptable IBL setups?

You can create the panorama however you want. Fish-eye and chrome balls are typically used because it's quicker to get a full panorama - a fish-eye can get a full pano in 3-6 photos while a chrome ball gets close to a full (I forget the actual amount of degrees it can capture) pano in 1 photo.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
FyreFlare
Frequenter
portfolio
FyreFlare
United%2BKingdom

Thanks for the rpely. Thats good to hear, so will it work with standard panorama with a normal lens? With a chrome ball or fish eye you get more information from above and below where with a normal panorama the image is obviously cropped above and below, making it not great for mapping on a sphere.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread