Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Morph camera usefulness?

So I've a lengthy animation with several camera stops that I thought I'd give Camera Morph a whirl. Problem is it only seems good for controlling a camera shot between 2 stops. And then it only seems useful for having slightly more control over the camera path between those 2 stops than just animating a straight up camera and f-curves. Can someone enlighten me as to when the Camera Morph is the right choice for a shot? Am I missing something?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
AAAron
Lord of the posts

I can give you a good example, lets say you are to move between diffrent parts of a house, and you still want a slight zoom at each stopping point. You use the individual camera settings for the zooms, and cameramorph to walk between cameras.

However I like to use Lennarts Steadycam instead the main reason for that is that I can esily add extra cameras even if I´ve already keyframed the morph, since Steady cam use a number silider instead if a 0-100% slider.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAron
I can give you a good example, lets say you are to move between diffrent parts of a house, and you still want a slight zoom at each stopping point. You use the individual camera settings for the zooms, and cameramorph to walk between cameras.

However I like to use Lennarts Steadycam instead the main reason for that is that I can esily add extra cameras even if I´ve already keyframed the morph, since Steady cam use a number silider instead if a 0-100% slider.

Ok, but you can do that with a regular camera? You are talking about animating the focal length when you say "zoom" yes? And to be clear, I'm talking about the Camera Morph tag and not the Motion Cameras. Also, let's say you have 3 stops. There's no way that I can see to "stop" the camera at each stop and control how long it sits there before moving on unless you set up another morph camera system and switch between cameras which seems less useful. If you could control that with one system of morph cameras, then I can see Camera Morphs being more useful as you don't have to worry about keyframing rotation and position, just adjust the target cams.
HyperactiveVR

Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Jesus, I gotta finish Autocam :/

Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Smith
Jesus, I gotta finish Autocam :/

And what is this "Autocam" good deer?
HyperactiveVR

Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyan
And what is this "Autocam" good deer?

Oh, everything you are saying you want plus more. It's a camera with a certain level of "A.I." where it dynamically keyframes the best path and timings for what you want. You have the ability to override what it suggests however you like, it has eases, turbulence, full stops, stops with a warp effect, etc, again all without keys. You tell it where you want it to look and it makes a perfectly smooth camera move for you. You can be done already or tell it how you want it changed. Takes all the tedium of screwing with keys to get a natural motion gone. It doesn't use any spline types in C4D or any interpolation types that I know of. It doesn't get weird motions, it simulates mass in cornering and extreme moves, it takes into consideration the length of the shot, how many cams, what their distances are as a whole using a bit of triangulation and feeds a cocktail of functions that dynamically create the smoothest, best timings and path shapes. Path shapes with no kinks or loops like normal splines get. You just tell it as an artist how you like the style and any special timings to consider. I did a presentation on a very early version at the Maxon NAB show last year (online somewhere), but that was very early and didn't do all the custom timing stuff and secondary stuff like it does now. So I would say it's 80% different than what I've shown before. I'm pretty sure people think it's vaporware at this point, but I set out to make the dream camera animation system and it's done when it's everything I ever wanted in a system is in it. So, I keep saying a few months from now then go beyond that but hopefully a few months from now.

I just made my comment because I keep reading in different forums how people want a good camera solution and this does it, seems like the comments I keep seeing are haunting me to finish the damn thing

Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
TBA3D
PRO
portfolio
Thomas Belitzki
Hamburg, Germany

Good news!

I saw the presentation video - cool stuff!

Hope you finish it soon

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Oh, everything you are saying you want plus more. It's a camera with a certain level of "A.I." where it dynamically keyframes the best path and timings for what you want. You have the ability to override what it suggests however you like, it has eases, turbulence, full stops, stops with a warp effect, etc, again all without keys. You tell it where you want it to look and it makes a perfectly smooth camera move for you. You can be done already or tell it how you want it changed. Takes all the tedium of screwing with keys to get a natural motion gone. It doesn't use any spline types in C4D or any interpolation types that I know of. It doesn't get weird motions, it simulates mass in cornering and extreme moves, it takes into consideration the length of the shot, how many cams, what their distances are as a whole using a bit of triangulation and feeds a cocktail of functions that dynamically create the smoothest, best timings and path shapes. Path shapes with no kinks or loops like normal splines get. You just tell it as an artist how you like the style and any special timings to consider. I did a presentation on a very early version at the Maxon NAB show last year (online somewhere), but that was very early and didn't do all the custom timing stuff and secondary stuff like it does now. So I would say it's 80% different than what I've shown before. I'm pretty sure people think it's vaporware at this point, but I set out to make the dream camera animation system and it's done when it's everything I ever wanted in a system is in it. So, I keep saying a few months from now then go beyond that but hopefully a few months from now.

I just made my comment because I keep reading in different forums how people want a good camera solution and this does it, seems like the comments I keep seeing are haunting me to finish the damn thing

If you made this and it works as well as you are making me fantasize, I will give you my money and open mouth kiss you, good sir.
HyperactiveVR

Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
If you made this and it works as well as you are making me fantasize, I will give you my money and open mouth kiss you, good sir.

If it's that kind of kiss, then it shall be finished in a day!

Maybe I'll make a little teaser demo of what it is doing in the next week. I can still sort out my few bugs and last feature additions after that anyways...

Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
If it's that kind of kiss, then it shall be finished in a day!

Maybe I'll make a little teaser demo of what it is doing in the next week. I can still sort out my few bugs and last feature additions after that anyways...

I would love to see this. I think something like that would greatly enhance production, especially for long animations. And revisions. Man, if all I had to do was reposition a target camera instead of rekeying...oh that would be the stuff.
HyperactiveVR

Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Alex4443D
portfolio
Alex
Here, USA

What I like about the Camera Morph tag is the ability to set up let's say a dozen cameras, each with their own settings and keyframed movement. Add the tag and change Simple Morph to Multi-Morph. Now just drag all your cams into the list and keyframe the blend slider. Boom. You now have an animation between the first cam in the list and the last.

You can tweak lots of stuff in there too.

FYI - I've done some similar tricks using the Stage object.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Coen
PRO
coen bouman
keyframes
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Say you want to ease dof within another time frame than the position track..
How would one go about it with the morph cam tag? All interpolation seems to be stuffed in the blend track.

There is no optional target and it shows when morph cam gives me this funky overshoot behaviour when making extreme moves. I can understand why, fondling my inner child, but from a practical pov I'd like to get things done...

All in all this makes steady cam as relevant as ever…

Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex4443D
What I like about the Camera Morph tag is the ability to set up let's say a dozen cameras, each with their own settings and keyframed movement. Add the tag and change Simple Morph to Multi-Morph. Now just drag all your cams into the list and keyframe the blend slider. Boom. You now have an animation between the first cam in the list and the last.

You can tweak lots of stuff in there too.

FYI - I've done some similar tricks using the Stage object.

Sure, that's great. If all your camera is doing is making one stop in the scene.
HyperactiveVR

Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
AAAron
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Sure, that's great. If all your camera is doing is making one stop in the scene.

And that´s why I prefer Lennarts glidecam instead, it works better with multiple stops,
even if you have to double keyframe like:

pos 1 key - motion - pos 2 key - stop - pos 2 key - motion - pos 3 key etc.

http://tcastudios.com

and it got built in damping and shaking, best of all its free

and yes give us auto cam

Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread