Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
gtm1260
Veteran

portfolio
Gautam Bose
USA

How to set myself up for success in VFX?

So after reading around a few forums I realize that the VFX industry is going through a lot of change. With outsourcing and the economy, I am wondering what to study if I want to be successful in VFX. I realize that studying only modeling for example isn't a good idea if I want to work in VFX for the long haul. So would it be a good idea to get a degree in a completely different field and learn cg on my own, or try to find something that isn't a core CG skill and apply it to my work? I really want to work in VFX, but i'm getting the feeling that there isn't going to be any entry level jobs available unless you have some unique skills or solutions. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am a junior in highschool if that helps.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

If you like maths and computers, getting a Computer Science degree might be a good choice.

-AJ

Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
gtm1260
Veteran

portfolio
Gautam Bose
USA

Thanks for the reply.

I really have wanted to get into coding, but I am confused if I should add that in addition to my existing skills or sort of become a programming guy who works in VFX. I guess I kinda pictured myself as an modeler/texture guy with some scripting knowledge. I am just not sure if the jobs as just being a modeler or something like that are going to be very valued as there is more outsourcing and stuff. I am not sure of the idea of being a TD or whatever it is called though because I really don't know what they do. Idk, just confusing. I mean I would say I am most passionate about modeling, but I also want to be realistic.....

Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

I don't have any VFX experience, but I do know modelling if a tough gig. I've heard some of the big studios that employ hundreds may only have 5 or 6 full time modellers on staff. I tried to make a living doing it, but was only able to get sporadic product rendering work.

Computer Science is a little more maths heavy, and doesn't go too far with the high level programming. Its a great degree because you learn more about the foundations of computing. It's a skill set you can apply to almost anything, including VFX. Check out some of the links in my sig. There are a few CS101 classes you might want to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6U-i4gXkLM

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 03-28-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
boomji
Lord of the posts

education

Arrow

Quote:
but I am confused if I should add that in addition to my existing skills or sort of become a programming guy who works in VFX

become a programming guy who works in vfx.

Quote:
I am not sure of the idea of being a TD or whatever it is called though because I really don't know what they do.

They solve problems that may / may not require the attention of a dedicated coder sitting in R&D.
You might have to spend a year or more as an artist yourself within the specific department and then progress towards a TD oriented role.

Quote:
I mean I would say I am most passionate about modeling, but I also want to be realistic.....

You could try your hand at Modelling and discover you are prodigious at it. Cant hurt to be versatile these days.

b

Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
gtm1260
Veteran

portfolio
Gautam Bose
USA

Thanks so much for the advice!

I am definitely taking into much more consideration taking on programming, now that I have heard from some people more experienced to me. Thanks for the resources AJ1 also! very useful.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread