Gloaming

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Gloaming

HI All,
This is a Sunday painting color study of unknown Seashore . Hope you like it.

Thanks.

Name: Koushik Routh

Software: Photoshop

Last edited by CD4 : 03 March 2013 at 05:16 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Okay, first of all, "gloaming" is the time period AFTER the sun has set, and before it gets dark. This scene isn't quite during the gloaming. It's a nitpick, I know.

Okay, first of all, you have very precise areas, like the tree, and then fuzzy, indistinct areas, like the water. You need to be more uniform across the entire image, you have multiple levels of focus, and it's distracting to the eye. If you're going to draw the rocks in that level of sharpness, the water around it also needs to be drawn as sharply.

Color - the water should be reflecting what's in the sky more closely.

Lighting - at this time of day, with this bright of a sunset, there should be vivid highlights on the rocks, waves, and tree. You will have deep contrasts between the vivid light from the setting sun, and the shadows. All you have is shadow.

Waves - waves don't occur wherever water touches a rock or the shore. Waves have a definite pattern, and they will occur where the movement of the water hits a solid object. You have waves all around the rocks, which would not occur in real life. You also have waves, but the water itself is flat, and placid. For even small waves to be happening on the rocks, there will be small waves in the water.

For this kind of painting, you really need to use a reference, or paint/draw on site, until you have more of an idea of how to build a scene like this.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Smile Thanks

Thanks William, that really helps. I will keep such points in mind to make my next piece close to presentable. But, as a Technical guy, i'm really learning how color/ Light works in real life environment and able to study little by little..Thanks again.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread