CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 2D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Roykorpel
Veteran

portfolio
Roy Korpel
graphic designer - illustrator
Netherlands

Dead Planet

http://roykorpel.cgsociety.org/gallery/1099293/

This drawing is not accepted for the 2d gallery. For some reason it is not okay enough. (makes me a bit disappointed to be honest) But, I am still very proud and want to give this drawing a tiny podium so here is my Dead Planet. Check the time lapse video and don't forget to turn on your speakers for the best experience.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tf_ApNPB64

I tried to give the drawing differed depths (background, middle, foreground), hot colors.. and a max timeframe of 4 hours

Critics welcome. But be gentle. I am hurt

ps, I hope u enjoy it do

Kind regards,
Roy

Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
ShadowMT
portfolio
Michael Tshikaya
United Kingdom

Hi Roy, I think in this image, you could push the value separation even further; you want the space to feel vast, since the action is taking place in space (no pun intended xd), maybe separate the different layers of depbris from eachother, and from the planet, soft brush on low opacity to add some volumetric fog? I know there's no atmosphere in space, but perhaps the dust floating around from the explosions? I would also define the foreground more if you want your image in the gallery, that rock on the left looks like it's got potential, maybe give it a bigger role or include more of a storytelling element, right now, to me this looks like a really cool bit of a storyboard for a movie, but not a finished painting by itself, what I think it lack in that respect is storytelling, there's not much going on other than a planet burning up, which is really cool, but its not introducing anything new or original, perhaps if you hinted at the cause of the cataclysm, it would be cool to see something smashing into the planet, something you wouldn't expect to see, its a crazy idea, but I can see a huge figure crashing into the side of the planet, like two gigantic gods battling it out in space, its just an idea, I know its not what you wanted to do with this obviously, but I think coming up with outlandish stuff can spark your creativity and let you come up with simpler solutions, hope any of this is helpful

Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The rendering is fine, and the colors are nice too, but it's the composition that's the weak link. Your focal point is smack in the middle of the image (most boring placement of focal point possible), and the foreground asteroids aren't arranged in a way that offsets the focal point in an interesting manner.

Try moving the planet a bit to the left, and then have the larger asteroids counterbalance it on the right side of the image, while the smaller ones lead the eyes to the planet.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Roykorpel
Veteran

portfolio
Roy Korpel
graphic designer - illustrator
Netherlands

Thank u 2 for your comment and quality. Sorry for the late delay on my side. Been a bussy week! So.. mostly the composition (rule of 3) is the problem in this drawing. Much more focus on the rule of 3 in future drawings!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread