CGI Book Covers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
CGI Book Covers

So, I'm in an argument with a coworker of mine, who says that even though there are plenty of nonfiction books with CGI illustrations on the cover, there haven't and will never be CGI illustrations on the cover of fiction books, for whatever reason.

This seems absurd, but for the life of me I'm not sure if I can find anything that looks like a pure 3D (i.e. modelled, rendered and such and NOT PRIMARILY painted in Photoshop) illustration. I had thought some of the warhammer novels, but they seem to be more illustrations than anything.

Anyone have any examples?

03 March 2013
Just go to a big site like Amazon and look through their best seller fiction list. I can see quite a few on the UK Amazon site that look like digital paintings.

03 March 2013
It's a silly argument, but you are probably right. There seem to be few, if any, fiction books with fully 3D CGI (not Photoshop paintings) used for the cover. There's a simple reason for this: economics. The cost/time to model and render a complicated scene, especially with characters, is far and away beyond what a skilled 2D illustrator can do in a day or two. I have yet to see a 3D artist who can replicate the detail, lighting and emotion that a skilled 2D artist can, given the same amount of time.

03 March 2013
there you go

Oops! I forgot you where talking about "fiction books" my mistake! sorry

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

03 March 2013
Like this?

03 March 2013
Does comic books count, I know there's the Zbrush french comic book called Hercule that looks amazing-
http://pixologic.com/interview/olivier-thill/1/

Also there's the US War Machine 2.0 published by MAX that looks horrible. It's all CG but looks very much like early children TV series type 3D like Reboot and what was it called Max Steel?

As for Hercule, it uses a unique style with Zbrush setting the foundations and Photoshop to finish. Althought it uses Photoshop, the art is only possible with Zbrush modelling the characters and evironments.

Last edited by Darkherow : 03 March 2013 at 07:48 PM.

03 March 2013
I've done a few covers for both fiction and non-fiction books over the years but you are right to some extent, CGI is more prevalent for non-fiction titles.

Believe it or not the fiction have been mostly romance novels.

Last edited by AJ : 03 March 2013 at 07:58 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by java: Like this?

Well, OP said "without heavy amounts of Photoshop work" which I would say this has.

BTW, AJ, I had to peek at your portfolio to see if you had any of the kind of work you mentioned. You have a quite an array of quality illustration work in different styles. The mix of DAZ, sculpting, 3D and Photoshop is right in the sweet spot for commercial illustrations. Was the gold figure one of the romance novel covers you mention?

03 March 2013
Thanks Richard, much appreciated!

The golden figures in the picture frame (I assume that's the ones you mean?) we're for a campaign for AXE deodorant. The jacket illustrations I've done tend to be on the more simplistic & straightforward side i.e hearts, glass slippers, golden keys...etc. As you correctly assumed earlier, there isn't really the scope to do a huge amount of involved CG work within the budgets/time frames of most publishing jobs, sadly.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread