Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
charlotte-chan
portfolio
United Kingdom

Red face Animated face using textures?

Hello~

I'm currently creating an animation for my final film in my Animation degree.

I've decided I would like to have a face made of textures rather than a modeled face for my characters.

However I'm not sure how to animate this.

I've noticed that I can layer textures, but I'm not sure how i would be able to switch from one texture to another to make it animated.

(Just to clarify I want to be able to switch from one texture to another to make it appear animated, rather than physically moving and animating just a texture, if that helps to make it clear.)

I am a beginner at softimage when it comes to things such as this so it would be nice if someone would explain it step by step.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated ~

Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

You could hook up several textures to a multi mixer node in the render tree, and animate which one you're using (connect the relevant parameters to something in your rig too if it makes it any easier, which it probably would).

Most of what you'd want to do will probably end up either in the render tree with multiple clips, or in the fxtree if you decide to use a single clip and use the comp side of XSI to swap what is displayed in that clip.

You can start from there and dig in the documentation a bit, see where it takes you.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
lucericr
PRO

portfolio
Luc-Eric
Maya UI Team
Montreal, Canada

You should be able to use an image sequence in the fxtree, and animate the offset in the File Input node to create the animation. First create an image clip for the texture so that it will apear in the Clips menu of the fxtree. Then, connect a File Input node to it (Ignore the "clip in" node that was created, just delete it)

The image caching in the fxtree should make that really fast - plus you'll see it in the viewport.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread