Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
TristanArtForm
Veteran
portfolio
Tristan Schane
Concept Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Dishonesty

I am a non paying member of this forum. I submit new works from time to time for the 3D gallery section. They are always rejected. The reasons and always (in my onion) spurious. Fir example, I made one posting which was rejected because I was told I had over posted -- this was my first and only post in over 6 months. Others post almost daily.

I think my work is never posted only because I am a non paying member. My last two items were rejected because they did not meet the standsards of the rest of the art. look at those pieces. There is a lot of tremendous, high quality art on display, but also a great deal of poorly done, amateur or student grade art on display. I feel my work nicely lands within that extremely wide gamut.

I would like to be told my work will not be displayed because I don't pay for premium membership. If this is the reason, A) the CGSiociety should be honest about it. B) if this is not the case, I will not pay to join a site who's grading of what will get posted and what won't to be completely arbitrary and indifferent to the merits of the works supposedly reviewed.

This rant has been bubbling in me for a long time. It feels good to unload.

T

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
pokoy
dental floss tycoon

portfolio
Marcin Gruszczyk
Germany

I think it doesn't matter whether it's a paid account or not. It's a fact (for me at least) that gallery submissions are reviewed by people whose decisions are based on the taste of their coffee, nothing else. There are lots of examples of good work being rejected and totally mediocre work being accepted.

After similar experiences I decided not to post in the showcase gallery at all anymore.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
TristanArtForm
Veteran
portfolio
Tristan Schane
Concept Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Hey Pokoy. That's about where I'm at too. It's really bullshit frustrating.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

What an utterly ludicrous conspiracy theory.

The fact is that on the validation queue, the only information we can see about the member is their username. If you believe that the moderators know who is a paying member and who isn't out of all the hundreds and hundreds of submissions each week, then you're assuming we have super powers in addition to being prejudiced assholes.

If you'd actually bothered to do a search on this topic, you'd have seen it's been discussed many times before, and that we are more than well aware of the inconsistencies (however, for what it's worth, I personally wouldn't have accepted your work as I feel it still needs a lot of improvement); furthermore, you'd have seen that we are planning to change things in the coming months, when all work will be accepted. But hey, if you'd rather just post a ridiculous, totally unfounded accusation like this than have a reasonable discussion, go ahead. You're only making yourself look silly, but I guess it's easier to point an accusatory finger at everyone else instead of taking a more critical look at your own work and posting in the WIP forum.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread