CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Apple Shake
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #1
spheratu
Veteran

maya user

shake super question

Hi there,this post is going to be a little long,so please be patient!!
I've been thinking about that for a long time and I hope you all can help me.First things first,I'm not a professional shake user,so maybe there's something that I'm doing wrong.
As you all know an iff image,or similar,can contain a z channel,but it's an aliased channel,with a very poor grey gamma,which results in something really useless for highend composites.
There are a few workarounds for that,like creating an external z,rendering a 3d scene with a depth shader,or maybe with fog or with a black to white ramp projected in Y or....there are a thousand ways to achieve a good depth tga or tiff file.
I've created a quick example for this:
here are the color files:

and here are the depth images:

Ok,here the composition I've done:

With a reorder node,I've added the red channel of the depth images to themselves as z,and with a copy node I've added the new z channel of the depth files to the color files.
Result:I have a color file with an antialiased and beautiful z channel!! am I right?
ok,so here's the problem,and the name of the problem is that:
JAGGED EDGES!!!!!!
why do I always have jagged edges???????
look at this tree:

I've created an over node and layered the left file with the floor.Obviously it's perfect,as always in shake....but look at that:
Here I compare the over node and the zcompose node.

as you can see,the composition with the zcompose node is absolutely aliased,as if the image were a tipical iff with z.
Then,why did I render the depth files if i cannot have a perfect z composition?
I though that everything would be great doing a separate z,but I cannot get rid of these artifacts.
So,let me finish with this:
Is there a way on earth to work with good resolution files,with a good resolution z,and compose them all with a good z compositing?????or having jagged edges and artifacts is the price to pay for using depth images?...mmmm,sorry,I don't belive that!!
what's the trick?
thanks

Last edited by spheratu : 12-15-2003 at 02:15 PM.

Old 12-15-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Phred42
Veteran
brian higgins
effects artist / designer
SOL designfx
chicago, USA

Have you checked out the depth compositing tutorial that comes with shake? It's Lesson Three - the NYC blimp one.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Jayk2k
Know-it-All

Jason Kolodziejczak
2D Technical Lead, Digital Compositor, Fusion Training & consulting.
Toronto, Canada

I'm not familiar with shake, but generally the second you add any antialiasing to your z image, it'll be wrong. By anti-aliasing you are pushing and pulling the edges of the objects around.

What you Ideally need is a z-coverage channel, which will allow you to specify how much of that pixel gets merged or used. I don't know all the math behind it, but it may be a starting point for you to research.

Old 12-16-2003, 03:20 AM   #4
beaker
Meep!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Deke Kincaid
M&E Development Manager
The Foundry
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to beaker Send a message via AIM to beaker Send a message via MSN to beaker Send a message via Yahoo to beaker
First, (maybe a dumb question, but I have to ask), are you Z compositing this scene just to give an example of the aliasing your getting in another scene? Because there is no point in Z compositing a scene like that.

Second, when you rendered your software Z, did you render in 8 bit or 16 bit? 8 bit will only give you 256 levels of grey which is not usually enough colors to give you a nice antialiased edge.

Third, try using a higher antialiasing setting in your 3d software when you render out the software Z. The edges on that software Z you showed looks aliased in the first place.

Fourth, try using the blur Z depth macro off highed, or just add your own blur to the b&w Z files that you are creating. Play with the blur setting till you get what your looking for.

Old 12-16-2003, 08:26 AM   #5
spheratu
Veteran

maya user

Phred42: Yeah,I checked this tutorial,that's how I know how to add an external z channel to an image.

Jayk2k:what is a z-coverage? it's the first time I hear about it

beaker:Yeah,I know there's no point z composing this,but it's a good example of what I mean: You can have antialiased images in color and depth,but after z composing them,the antialias goes away. It's not a 3d problem,because the images are ok,is a compositing problem.And blurring images is not a solution because what i want is not to loose edge accuracy.

Old 12-16-2003, 03:27 PM   #6
Jayk2k
Know-it-All

Jason Kolodziejczak
2D Technical Lead, Digital Compositor, Fusion Training & consulting.
Toronto, Canada

Discreet has the z coverage channels in it's RPF file format. Maybe you can ask one of the guys in the max forum to output a sample for you. Again, I don't really know the math behind it, but DF and I assume Combustion use it to smooth out the edges of a z-comp.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread