Max 2013 Design panning issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Max 2013 Design panning issue

Hey all!

I'm having a very annoying issue with Max and panning. Basically, when I either hit the middle mouse button OR select "Pan view" and proceed to click and move the cursor, my mouse jumps off the screen and takes the geometry with it. Then I have to re-center the geometry using "zoom extents selected"... I think you get the drift of how annoying it is to work in 3d without a functioning Pan ability.

Has anyone had this issue? I've done clean re-installs and just installed an update from autodesk.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
are you working with a cad file or something simmilar? Like an imported city block?

If so, your model might be several thousand units away from xyz 0. That means it's past the normal range that max is use to and will jump around and cause odd glitches.

Move the whole thing back to 0,0,0 and that should fix things if this is the case.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
it does it whether I'm working with imported geometry or start a new file from scratch and only create Max geometry.

thanks.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
hrm... maybe mouse issue?

Also uninstalling max doesn't always get rid of all the files. You might want to just make sure to delete the 3dsmax.ini to re-set some properties.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
The viewport look at point does seem to get reset a lot. Especially if you're using metres. I often find that the look at point is sudden hundreds of metres through the scene from what I just zoom extents on in Max 2012. (You can find out by creating a camera from the viewport). This can make the pan speed go berzerk.

It especially resets when coming out of Isolate mode. Are you using that a lot? You can undo a view change with shift Z, but it doesn't reset the look at pos.

It's a bit flaky basically so I find I zoom extents selected all the time out of habit now.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: hrm... maybe mouse issue?

Also uninstalling max doesn't always get rid of all the files. You might want to just make sure to delete the 3dsmax.ini to re-set some properties.

I doubt it's a mouse issue since I can't replicate a navigation glitch in any other software package.

Thanks for that tip. I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Originally Posted by robinb: The viewport look at point does seem to get reset a lot. Especially if you're using metres. I often find that the look at point is sudden hundreds of metres through the scene from what I just zoom extents on in Max 2012. (You can find out by creating a camera from the viewport). This can make the pan speed go berzerk.

It especially resets when coming out of Isolate mode. Are you using that a lot? You can undo a view change with shift Z, but it doesn't reset the look at pos.

It's a bit flaky basically so I find I zoom extents selected all the time out of habit now.

I find that it happens whether using generic units (per a new model created within Max) or upon importing a model with imperial units. I don't use Meters since I'm in the US but it's interesting that the units would have an effect on this glitch.

I do use Isolate Selection quite a bit, and yes, it does it then as well. ... this sucks but I guess it's time to make a shortcut for Zoom Extents Selected then

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Could be your Orbit mode, I think a default can be that it will change the center of your view based on what you have selected.

I also had viewport problems on a computer with different monitors, I think 3ds Max was on the secondary monitor and the viewport navigation was really messed up.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I also had viewport problems on a computer with different monitors, I think 3ds Max was on the secondary monitor and the viewport navigation was really messed up.

BINGO!!! (...and what the hell?!)

I'm running a Dell Precision 4600M and a Dell 27" U2711 Ultrasharp secondary display... Damn. At least I can drag Max back to the laptop display and NOT get the issue... weird.

Thanks for your time guys.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread