Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
ArcticWolf
Veteran

Tom Kleinenberg
Lead Previs/Layout Artist
Triggerfish
South Africa

HMC #37: Femme-Fatale - Lena Headey as "Snake Plissken" (Escape from New York)

Through a convergence of free time and motivation, I think I might actually finish this challenge! I'm doing my take of Lena Headey (from Game of Thrones, The Sarah Connor Chronicles and 300) as Snake Plissken from Escape from New York.

I started on Saturday and these are what I've got so far.

I think most of the stuff is in the right area, but it doesn't feel like her yet. I think the profile is quite close but the front still feels off. My girlfriend said I should try push the cheekbones a bit higher and I agree. She has quite an angular face that's not coming across. I think that for expedience I want the big shapes mapped out in Softimage and then refinements applied in Zbrush. I'm not sure where I want to make her face asymmetrical (at the moment its a simple symmetry modifier), but I think it will also help sell the face.

I'd like to come out of this contest with a generic female body I can reuse as needed. I think its mostly okay, although the collar bone/shoulders need a lot of work and the forearm goes a little weird. I also want to put more detail into the back.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
h2olt
Disciple of the Gray Poly

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Send a message via AIM to h2olt Send a message via Yahoo to h2olt
HAH! nice! I dunno if you can call it snake Pliskin withouth the stubble though. I read the headline and I wa thinking 'why Lena Heady?' but it fits up pretty well.

2 quick tips for the head:
The cranium is sloping back too quickly. Frontal bone is flatter than you've modeled. Her bangs aren't teased up much pull the front farther into the hair on your side ref.

Her cheekbones aren't just high. Think of them as blending smoothly into the bones that surround the eye. You've made a sharper transition than is really there.

About the 'generic female body':

I find that it's almost never worth my time. Unless you really need something optimized for animation, you're probably better off spending the time getting better at cleaning up topology after you've finished in ZBrush. At the very least it might derail your challenge progress.

Also that arms straight out (like I learned in school) is never really practical. It's best to model the base mesh in a relaxed position near the middle of the range of motion. It's easier to rig with the arms out like that, but there are too many trade-offs with getting shoulder pads, backpacks, or even just fitted shirts to look good when the arms are out like that. Picture what a fitted button up shirt looks like when you put your arms up like that (uncomfortable). I'd never want to detail a character in that position and then hope they look normal when you put their arms down.

In fairness though I worked all in games and static sculpts, so if you want to use dynamic cloth or something then I don't know if any of my experience applies.

Good luck getting her looking like she walked out of an 80's action movie. Might I suggest hair spray and big baggy pants.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
h2olt

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Here's a link to a Huge side view shot without hair over her forehead.
http://goodfilmguide.co.uk/wp-conte...a-Headey-04.jpg
While not a perfect side shot to use as a 1:1 modeling reference it should show you where things should be.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
ArcticWolf
Veteran

Tom Kleinenberg
Triggerfish
South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2olt
HAH! nice! I dunno if you can call it snake Pliskin withouth the stubble though. I read the headline and I wa thinking 'why Lena Heady?' but it fits up pretty well.

2 quick tips for the head:
The cranium is sloping back too quickly. Frontal bone is flatter than you've modeled. Her bangs aren't teased up much pull the front farther into the hair on your side ref.

Her cheekbones aren't just high. Think of them as blending smoothly into the bones that surround the eye. You've made a sharper transition than is really there.

Thanks for the crit! I showed it to a friend of mine who's a better artist than me - he did a quick sketch in to show me some stuff I could tweak.

I think he's saying a lot of the same stuff you are, specifically adjusting the shape of the cranium. Tweaking the nose certainly helped make her look a little less manly. I'll look at the skull shape next. I'm also going through, trying to match to a few 3/4 type shots, which I think is helping match get the cheek bones shape better. Previously it had just been front and right as per the refs. Thanks for the super-crazy-high-res ref, it helps (also for skin later, I hope).

Quote:
About the 'generic female body':

I find that it's almost never worth my time. Unless you really need something optimized for animation, you're probably better off spending the time getting better at cleaning up topology after you've finished in ZBrush. At the very least it might derail your challenge progress.

Also that arms straight out (like I learned in school) is never really practical. It's best to model the base mesh in a relaxed position near the middle of the range of motion. It's easier to rig with the arms out like that, but there are too many trade-offs with getting shoulder pads, backpacks, or even just fitted shirts to look good when the arms are out like that. Picture what a fitted button up shirt looks like when you put your arms up like that (uncomfortable). I'd never want to detail a character in that position and then hope they look normal when you put their arms down.

In fairness though I worked all in games and static sculpts, so if you want to use dynamic cloth or something then I don't know if any of my experience applies.

The lead modeller at work (bah, just realised I don't work there anymore )was telling me similar - always go Zbrush first, then worry about topology. The main thing I'd like is a clean, low-res mesh to start from, sculpt and the retopo. I still struggle to match refs in Zbrush, but I suppose that's what I should be learning to correct

As for the arms, I'll drop them to something more natural. I've been struggling to get the clavicle section looking not weird, and I realised (as you've basically said) I'll almost never need it in that pose for a sculpt.

Quote:
Good luck getting her looking like she walked out of an 80's action movie. Might I suggest hair spray and big baggy pants.

I'm channeling all my non-thinking-man's action movie knowledge into this.

http://dmitryinhollywood.files.word...ional-art13.jpg

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Nice mix!
Looks like a bit of a smile on your model, might be good to shoot for a neutral expression. I am missing the sternomastoid right now. The ridge over the nose is the same as the eye ridges where it is mostly more gentle. Females have 7 layers of fat to the 5 miserable layer us guys have which makes them wicked hard to model. Between the cheek and jaw there might be a bit of volume loss making the smile expression (very subtle) that could be stopping the model from looking as relaxed as it could. The jaw is pretty hard. The ref has an angular jaw but on the edge it is pretty soft.

Nice stuff!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
ArcticWolf
Veteran

Tom Kleinenberg
Triggerfish
South Africa

I've addressed some of the problems - I think the nose is better and I added the meaty bit over the upper eyelid. Its closer to the reference from Dredd I think. I'm not 100% sure about it, but I think its good enough to take into Zbrush and tweak there.. I shaped the back of the skull and the forehead a bit closer to the reference and it helped a lot. I think the cheekbone is right now, it looks a lot more natural, I tried to blend it in as suggested, as well as the eyebrow section, helps a lot. I tried to smooth jawline a bit - its not quite right, but its better. I also tried making the mouth a bit more neutral, but I think I'm losing a bit of the real shape so I'll go through it again. I think the lips are a little flat too.

And yes Kanga, I'm going to do the sternomastoid, but I'm trying to focus on getting the face recognisable first. I did however learn a new word

Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
h2olt

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Looking good. Should be good enough to bring into zbrush. Just keep in mind while you're working on it to keep the planes in mind. Those cheeks line up from the front and side but it feels like you're missing a little something in the cheeks in the 3/4 side.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
ArcticWolf
Veteran

Tom Kleinenberg
Triggerfish
South Africa

Quote:
Looking good. Should be good enough to bring into zbrush. Just keep in mind while you're working on it to keep the planes in mind. Those cheeks line up from the front and side but it feels like you're missing a little something in the cheeks in the 3/4 side.

Cool thanks, I'll have a look. I have been comparing it to some three-quarter shots of her, specifically from Game of Thrones, but I'll give it another pass. A friend of mine noticed the nostrils were bigger than they should be, so I've tweaked that. I'm worried she's getting a bit masculine, and I'm not sure quite what it is. I'm trying to adjust the lips a little to be a bit more feminine, which I think is helping a bit.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread