Disciple of the Gray Poly

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Send a message via AIM to h2olt Send a message via Yahoo to h2olt
HMC MINI#37:Femme Fatale! - Xena & Gabrielle

This is great. I've been looking for a project where I can practice modeling females. Mine usually come out kinda mannish.

As the Brief explained we can change what we'll be doing at any time, so for now I'm gonna jump right in the deep end and choose to do a duo, Xena and Gabrielle from 'Xena: Warrior Princess'. While not quite fitting the classic Femme Fatale mold, I remember them gracing the covers of quite a few issues of Femme Fatale Magazine back in the 90's.

Since I want this post to be short so I can update it later I'll post my refs below.

Last edited by h2olt : 03-05-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
h2olt

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Here's the initial refs of Lucy Lawless as Xena.

I'll probably shoot for a slightly older Lucy, somewhere between how she looks today and a couple years ago on Battlestar Galactica. Either HD footage is kind to her or she's aged very gracefuly, I like to believe the latter, and I like the idea of a slightly more age seperated Xena and Gabriel. Warior Princess and Innocent Sidekick, the way I feel the series started out in season 1.

I'll have those Gabby Refs up in a bit. (I may have saved off too many refs)

I figure I'll get them into some kind of action pose back to back, but I need to decide on which of Lucy's goofy 'war face's to use. The 3 options are in the upper left corner: death glare, battle cry or maniacal grin. Which do you think will work best?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
RBreen
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Breen
Astoria, USA

Xena the Warrior Princess

Lucy Lawless as "Xena the Warrior Princess" is a great choice. I also liked Lucy Lawless in Spartacus. She played the character called Lucretia, who in my opinion is a definite Femme Fatale.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
h2olt

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

-RBreen - Yeah Lucretia is definitely a model Fem Fatale. Scheming and undermining mens' plans. But there's not really much of a distinctive look to her, and since I'll render this as clay, the red hair wouldn't even stand her apart.

Next up, Gabrielle. Not much to change here, I'll see if it's possible to make her a little younger without ruining the likeness. I prefer the season one costume design but I'll try to re-design it using the slightly better materials from later in the series. Leather and metal wherever possible. Also I must not have watched much of the show because I only ever saw her with the staff as a weapon. I might model the sais and put them on her but she'll be wielding the staff.

Last edited by h2olt : 03-05-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Looks ambitious. I prefer face number 2. How are you planning to do Xena's armor? Are you going to do it all in zbrush and retopologize. If so, it would be nice to see your workflow and brushes used for it.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I always liked Xena in her first costume from Hercules. The episode was "The Warrior Princess". I'd definitely go with battle cry.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Airflow
(212) 555-2368

portfolio
Robert Angol
Head Of 3D
Orchard Post
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Airflow Send a message via Yahoo to Airflow
Have to say I like number one. Good choice, hope you have time to finish both. Great stuff.

MY HMC

Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #8
h2olt

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

-gyarados - I know i should try and learn some of the newer modeling tools like that one used to make zippers, but I usually go about sculpting things in a pretty dumb straight forward brute force mode, sculpting everything out by hand But I'm recording all my stuff with the history to video feature, so I'll be looking at my own process and figuring out where I can improve. Now that I think about it I should try that new zipper insert thing to model out xena's skirt. I'll post up some regular progress as I go

-WyattHarris- Do you have a link to that first costume? (I'm curious now) Yeah I think the battle cry is the way to go but I've always loved her various 'threatening' faces.

-Airflow- There's still more than a month left and I recently got layed off so I have tons of time. I'm not woried about this comp on it's own, but I may get distracted since I'm also gonna try the CGHub Post Apocalypse Modeling Challenge. Might take up a lot of my time creating an original character including texture for that one.

Well, four hours down and it doesn't feel like much. Without hair it feels wrong but I'm pretty sure I've got the shapes down. A lot of small changes are called for once I break them out of symmetry (especially Gabrielle's eyes) I figure the next step is blocking out the scene

On further review I'm really unsatisfied with the Gabrielle model. She looks fine with texture applied, but it just doesn't stand on it's own without color.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I suppose on this forum I am allowed to admit Xena was one of my favorite series. I think the face is going to be a challenge because of the jaw line but it looks like it is going well!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Seravi
Veteran

portfolio
Jules Kent
Mt. Mochimochi, Bhutan

Nice choices and two at that! You're not exactly skimping on the workload, are you?! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2olt
This is great. I've been looking for a project where I can practice modeling females. Mine usually come out kinda mannish.

Contrary to what many people may think, female characters and children are a lot harder to sculpt well than men. Women and kids tend to look/be softer and you really need to know well what's underneath those skin forms. The trick is to know your female anatomy well and smooth out any too harshly defined areas. My credo for kids and women is, it's better to go too soft than too defined. Lookin' forward to more wip images.

Last edited by Seravi : 03-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
gyarados
Frequenter

portfolio
Mr Blobby
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravi
Nice choices and two at that! You're not exactly skimping on the workload, are you?! lol

Contrary to what many people may think, female characters and children are a lot harder to sculpt well than men. Women and kids tend to look/be softer and you really need to know well what's underneath those skin forms. The trick is to know your female anatomy well and smooth out any too harshly defined areas. My credo for kids and women is, it's better to go too soft than too defined. Lookin' forward to more wip images.

I agree. It is difficult to sculpt female heads and children. I also read on some drawing/3d forums a while back that it is easier to draw/model your own sex than to do the opposite, not sure if thats true or not though. Although looking through loomis's book it seems practice is the most important thing?

Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

So its in Hercules: The Warrior Princess but also in Hercules: The Gauntlet.
Well either way its hard to find a decent res version anywhere of the full outfit. But she's still evil at this point so she has the crazy eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i724gFE1OR0
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
h2olt

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

-WyattHarris- I found that episode of hercules and watched it on Netflix. I hadn't realized how bad Hercules was. I only ever caught bits of Xena when my mom was watching it, but I never saw Hercules, it's so cheesy. Way to many slow action fights where the camera lingers on Kevin Sorbo's tight leather pants.

-gyarados-Seravi- I've been having a hell of a time getting the female softness down. I got too high res and lumpy with dynamesh, but I've used Qremesh to get a better low rez base. Much easer to form shapes that way and sculpt facial details on higher subdivs.

-Kanga- I always liked Xena I just didn't watch much TV in highschool, only caught bits when my parents were watching. I had caught bits of Hercules too and never liked it, now that I'm more discerning I can say Herc sucks and Xena really has something going with her being an ex-villain, the atoning for past misdeeds story is way more interesting that 'im the son of a god and I'm a goody two shoes'

Anyway, now I'm confident in my choice now. She was a total Fem Fatale when she was evil. I actually liked the costume she wore at a couple points earlier on with a bit of red on it. I might try to change up her costume and add some red to it.

I have some progress but I'm actually getting stuff done. I'll post some once I hit another bump or head to bed, whichever comes first.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
h2olt

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

WIP Update

Here's some progress on the models

I haven't been sleeping well so I've been losing out on a lot of hours to work on this.

Gabrielle is looking like something that crawled out of the uncanny valley, but I suspect that has a lot to do with symmetry and the frozen features. I dunno, lots seems messed up to me right now.

I like how Xena is looking so I may drop the duo act for sake of the deadline.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I can see a good likeness in both figures. Xena might be a bit more attractive though. Looks like she is a wee bit stressed in her neutral pose atm. Maybe relaxing it a bit by dropping the shoulders would help.

Keep on trukin'!
Cheers

Thread Closed share thread