Long Time No Post : New Matte

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Long Time No Post : New Matte

Hi Guys,

Long time no post... I had a little bit of time and since we are reviving this forum... I decided to post my only personal work for last year... its not as polished as I want it to be and still looks painterly and some edges needs to be refined. When I have some more time, I will post some more.

Comments and Critiques are always welcome.

here is the concept:

Sketching the idea:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1280x960 Full View - Final CC

1280x720 Alternate Version - before Final Color Correction

LINK to HI RES 3K Image
CLICK ME

FULL RES (Working Resolution 5K) SAMPLE

any thoughts? Comment, comment comment!
www.ericdmatte.com

Last edited by eyecon : 09 September 2013 at 06:12 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
looking good, I think the original concept is really cool , that fallen building would give a very nice look and complexity to the image maybe you want to add something like that

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Hio Eric,

I think overall it's pretty great! I would maybe just add a few atmospheric volume rays, since I see lots of dust kicking up already, and it would be great chance to add those rays through the windows, or little edges from the left to bottom right side.

Also the top right branch and leaf is a little too out of focus, since everything in this shot is pretty sharp (and shot with a high Fstop) the leaf in the FG would be almost as sharp too. Love the final CC!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 07 July 2013   #4
I prefer the alternate version before the cc, and would also like to see the strong diagonal from the concept. As for the depth of field, rather than making everything sharp, you could try using it to help you guide the viewers eye by adjusting the defocus in zdepth across the image. Meaning, if you're aiming for a Styleframe (finished piece of production art), keep the most important story point sharper but if you'd like to retain that flexibility for comp, even out the sharpness. In either case, try to balance the quality (blur/sharpness) of your elements throughout the image.

Hope to see a finished version of this.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
DD Vancouver

Originally Posted by milanschere: I prefer the alternate version before the cc, and would also like to see the strong diagonal from the concept. As for the depth of field, rather than making everything sharp, you could try using it to help you guide the viewers eye by adjusting the defocus in zdepth across the image. Meaning, if you're aiming for a Styleframe (finished piece of production art), keep the most important story point sharper but if you'd like to retain that flexibility for comp, even out the sharpness. In either case, try to balance the quality (blur/sharpness) of your elements throughout the image.

Hope to see a finished version of this.

I believe Eric is busy working on the movie adaptation of your favorite book, and has no time to check CG Talk at the moment.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Ender!

Ender?

Ender!!

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Lol The latest trailer looks pretty fun!! You should read it again before the movie is out!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Ender & Bean

Yes, put it on my iPod last night...

Originally Posted by Ackdoh: Lol The latest trailer looks pretty fun!! You should read it again before the movie is out!

Old 08 August 2013   #9
All excited Harrison Ford is in it! the visuals look amazing!

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 09 September 2013   #10
Wow, this thread is getting a lot of great responses.

Thanks guys. Your comments are always welcome and I am greatful to all of it.

Milan I agree with your thoughts, unfortunately, I might no have time to refine this one, as I am quite busy with current projects for now...

Although I might post my next personal mattepainting work soon....

And Yes, Enders Game was a fun show to work on... lots of smaller challenges...

I was wondering though if we can post works from past shows here like Jack the Giant Slayer?

Just wondering...
www.ericdmatte.com

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Hio Eric,

Wb! And yeah feel free to post any of your work here, or create a new thread per project if you'd like for any finished work or WIP work

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09 September 2013   #12
Tmnt

Done on Ender's Game? Will you be working on Ninja Turtles?

Originally Posted by eyecon: Wow, this thread is getting a lot of great responses.
Thanks guys. Your comments are always welcome and I am greatful to all of it.
Milan I agree with your thoughts, unfortunately, I might no have time to refine this one, as I am quite busy with current projects for now...
Although I might post my next personal mattepainting work soon....
And Yes, Enders Game was a fun show to work on... lots of smaller challenges...
I was wondering though if we can post works from past shows here like Jack the Giant Slayer?
Just wondering...

Old 09 September 2013   #13
Yes, Enders Game is all wrapped up. We are not working on Ninja Turtle, that's another big name studio that will be working on it. I heard its a great show

Thanks!
www.ericdmatte.com

Old 09 September 2013   #14
Milan

Originally Posted by eyecon: Yes, Enders Game is all wrapped up. We are not working on Ninja Turtle, that's another big name studio that will be working on it. I heard its a great show

Thanks!

I'm married to a ninja turtle

Old 09 September 2013   #15
Haha! I think we came from the same generation, lol... That must awesome being married to one haha, we are working on another superhero show though...
www.ericdmatte.com

Thread Closed share thread