Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
VisitorfromArea51
Veteran
portfolio
Brian Chapman
Not Private Joker
Las Vegas, USA

Processing LIDAR Data

I'm processing LIDAR data and developing point clouds to model from, which is basically a surface with millions of points. LIDAR develops random spikes hundreds of feet above or below ground. I need to know the best way to remove random spikes (other than create complex algorithms to run against a database or something).

Also, lidar has difficulty with vertical faces / shadows, creating "streaks" in a model. I'd like to remove those streaks somehow by either weeding the vertices, points, or mesh smoothing or something, but need to maintain the edges as best as possible. See this graphic for clarification:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/images/wtc2.jpg

Anyone have any advice to help me?

I have Maya, 3D studio Max, and Civil 3D from autodesk.

Thank you!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

I've used LIDAR data some, and I've never run into anything as bad as in you example. There are a few off points, but few enough to make hand-fixing them fairly easy. Are you sure there isn't a problem with how you're converting the LIDAR data into a model?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
VisitorfromArea51
Veteran
portfolio
Brian Chapman
Not Private Joker
Las Vegas, USA

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
I've used LIDAR data some, and I've never run into anything as bad as in you example. There are a few off points, but few enough to make hand-fixing them fairly easy. Are you sure there isn't a problem with how you're converting the LIDAR data into a model?

I should clarify the LIDAR data being used is USGS. I believe it's a common problem with there data sets but can't find anyone who knows about this stuff :/ I had assumed some vegetation were spikes, but when I figured how to filter the point cloud realized the actual spikes weren't that bad. I was able to remove.

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread