Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
scrog
Veteran
john scrogum
blackwell, USA

character modeling best practices?

I would like some input for someone who has worked in the gaming or animation industry.
I have been studying Character modeling and have a question. If I am modeling a character with clothes.
Do I need any polys that would not be seen?
If i am modeling character wearing a shirt does the head and neck need to be connected, or does the neck just need to be extruded down into the shirt.
Is it ok have the arm and hand just inside the sleeve, not connected to the shirt.

The above Questions are the general direction I am wondering about.
I want to start modeling with animation in mind. ( rigging and so on )

Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
ezekiel66
Know-it-All

portfolio
v j
3D Artist
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrog
If I am modeling a character with clothes.
Do I need any polys that would not be seen?
If i am modeling character wearing a shirt does the head and neck need to be connected, or does the neck just need to be extruded down into the shirt.
Is it ok have the arm and hand just inside the sleeve, not connected to the shirt.

This depends on what the requirements for that character are and what the character will do. If the clothes will be simulated, you need to actually model the entire character so the cloth can collide with the body beneath. Or if the character will take off the clothes/ will be seen with different clothing, shorts etc.

If the clothes will not be simulated, and the character will never take off his clothes, you only need to model what will actually be visible. You can only extrude the neck down to the point where the shirt begins, or just the hands and wrist up to the area where it will be covered by the sleeve. Modeling e.g. the entire arm would be a waste of time then, and probably counterproductive because this kind of doube layer geometry is harder to rig and when animated can cause interpenetration issues.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
scrog
Veteran
john scrogum
blackwell, USA

[QUOTE=ezekiel66]This depends on what the requirements for that character are and what the character will do. If the clothes will be simulated, you need to actually model the entire character so the cloth can collide with the body beneath. Or if the character will take off the clothes/ will be seen with different clothing, shorts etc.

If the clothes will not be simulated, and the character will never take off his clothes, you only need to model what will actually be visible. You can only extrude the neck down to the point where the shirt begins, or just the hands and wrist up to the area where it will be covered by the sleeve. Modeling e.g. the entire arm would be a waste of time then, and probably counterproductive because this kind of doube layer geometry is harder to rig and when animated can cause interpenetration issues.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your answers.
If the clothes are to be simulated, is that done with rigging or simulated physics?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread