3dsmax 2014 sneak peeks

Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
coldside-digital
Know-it-All
portfolio
Daniel Dye
Tweed Heads, Australia

Send a message via MSN to coldside-digital
Skipped over it the first time, but with a second look I noticed some other changes too... Click the images to enlarge.

Here you can see the menus have changed. Of particular note is the "Crowds" menu, most probably Project Gepetto coming out of Autodesk Labs.

The "Simulate" and "Manage" menus also draw my interest, would be great to see some more tools in those areas.

Also, the "Sign In" drop down on the right hand side, which I assume will be for signing in with our subscription/account details. Potentially notifying us of Product Updates and better bug tracking?

This is where it gets a bit more interesting. Once again, the menus have changed, with additional icons. What could have been in the "Crowds" menu in the previous screenshot has been moved to the Ribbon, which again points to Project Gepetto being integrated as the public beta had its controls in the Ribbon too.

Another thing that has me curious is the fonts and window manager. It reminds me of a Unix/Linux graphical desktop. Of course I could be completely wrong. Thinking about it, it may even be a tweaked Windows 8 theme. And yes, I know that it would be almost impossible for 3ds Max to be ported to another OS due to its dependency on Windows technology, but hey, wishful thinking and all

http://coldsidedigital.tumblr.com - 3ds Max Blog

Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
TRick
= : >--[: ]===
Erik Clemens
Archimatics
Maastricht, Netherlands

Finally some real performance improvements. Would be worth all the subsccription money I spend since the beginning

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
DrZenith
Expert

portfolio
Dr Zenith
Not a real doctor.
United Kingdom

Good stuff. We're in desperate need of better viewport performance.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
hotknife
Expert

Andrew Whitney
Nottingham,

Quote:
This is where it gets a bit more interesting. Once again, the menus have changed, with additional icons. What could have been in the "Crowds" menu in the previous screenshot has been moved to the Ribbon, which again points to Project Gepetto being integrated as the public beta had its controls in the Ribbon too.

Or the person running the demo has installed Gepetto. Doesn't def' point to it being included in the software.

Edit :Can anybody comment on how flexible Gepetto is ? It looks as if it's designed for very strict - (I'm a crowd walking around a building) kinda thing. Can you have an army of Orcs attacking a castle while avoiding a giant humming bird made from a CAT rig with 16 legs for example ?

Last edited by hotknife : 02-28-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
coldside-digital
Know-it-All
portfolio
Daniel Dye
Tweed Heads, Australia

Send a message via MSN to coldside-digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotknife
Or the person running the demo has installed Gepetto. Doesn't def' point to it being included in the software.

Of course. Technically, nothing shown is these videos has to be included. I was just pointing out a couple of other things revealed in the video.

http://coldsidedigital.tumblr.com - 3ds Max Blog

Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
hotknife
Expert

Andrew Whitney
Nottingham,

Sure I agree - I just don't want to get my hopes up to much
And if it's a crowd system like State sets it will take a few releases before they walk !

Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
RappyBMX
Frequenter
portfolio
Remus Gabriel Juncu
Bacau, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to RappyBMX
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldside-digital

this is horrible it's like 4 different things that have nothing in common, wtf !!!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RappyBMX
this is horrible it's like 4 different things that have nothing in common, wtf !!!

There's also another menu bar shown in another part of the video, similar to the current menu bar. I'm not sure if it's in addition or instead of something else.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Byteman3D
Expert

portfolio
Nezih Kanbur
Graphic Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman3D Send a message via MSN to Byteman3D
I'm not a bit anxious until I see that so called "large" architectural scene demonstrated in a walkthrough animation and walks-through like the penguin's after performance.

I ve switched back to the good old direct 3d more than a year ago and I ve worked with 30 fold larger scenes moving even faster. Nitrous is really cool in display quality but only eye-candy if it will still take 10 seconds to select an object in a real life scene.

I really wonder if one day we will see our multi cores working altogether during viewport operations. Or is it just not possible for such kind of calculations?
But it will be a giant leap, don't you think? We've been buying new machines for years, and I can't bear the idea that my current 12 core i7 3930K is only 3 times faster in rendering performance compared to my previous 4 core 9550.

A linear calculation brings me to the evident conclusion that both machines would perform almost identical during one core viewport work.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
ramissin
Veteran

portfolio
Richard Missin
Professional Drinker / Freelance Gynecologist
Leeds, GB

snip......

Last edited by ramissin : 03-05-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

fucking ribbons... As if the shitty MS Office interface isn't bad enough.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byteman3D
I'm not a bit anxious until I see that so called "large" architectural scene demonstrated in a walkthrough animation and walks-through like the penguin's after performance.

I ve switched back to the good old direct 3d more than a year ago and I ve worked with 30 fold larger scenes moving even faster. Nitrous is really cool in display quality but only eye-candy if it will still take 10 seconds to select an object in a real life scene.

I really wonder if one day we will see our multi cores working altogether during viewport operations. Or is it just not possible for such kind of calculations?
But it will be a giant leap, don't you think? We've been buying new machines for years, and I can't bear the idea that my current 12 core i7 3930K is only 3 times faster in rendering performance compared to my previous 4 core 9550.

A linear calculation brings me to the evident conclusion that both machines would perform almost identical during one core viewport work.

The 3930k is 6 cores, not 12.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #14
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

6 Physical, 6 Virtual and yah you can pretty much only expect to get approx 30% of physical core performance from a virtual core.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
Byteman3D
Expert

portfolio
Nezih Kanbur
Graphic Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman3D Send a message via MSN to Byteman3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
The 3930k is 6 cores, not 12.

And I still wonder if one day we will see our multi cores working altogether during viewport operations.

Thread Closed share thread