Strange Texture problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Strange Texture problem

Hi everyone,

I went to apply the color map to my model and something weird happened. It almost looks like the texture is rotated 90 degrees within each face.

I'm trying to apply this after the model has been rigged and animated.

If anyone has any ideas of why this is happened or more importantly, how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texture problem.jpg (76.7 KB, 25 views)

02 February 2013
Check out if your UV map has been flipped or not.

02 February 2013
It could be a UV issue...

This particular geometry had its UVs transferred from an updated mesh after it was rigged. To add to the confusion, it was modeled in Max and rigged in Maya.

02 February 2013
Did you try AVERAGE NORMALS? Its in Polymode under NORMALS!

Blog

03 March 2013
Also, often overlooked, "Unlock Normals" will fix all manner of (ahem) abNormalities. When you get the odd black faces, for example, after manually working with any Normals.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

03 March 2013
thanks for all the suggestions, but unfortunately, none of them worked. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the normals.

I played around a little more and found this out. If I select a single edge of the geometry, two edges get selected in the UV Texture editor. I've never come across anything like this so I don't know if there's a way to (hopefully) easily fix this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one edge selected.jpg (66.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg two edges selected.jpg (46.5 KB, 5 views)

03 March 2013
Yes, I'm convinced this is a UV layout problem, not a normals problem.

Hopefully this picture makes sense. Match the corresponding colors.

Somehow, it seems that you've managed to rotate some individual faces 90 from where they need to be. I bet if you grab a single UV from the 'clean' region, and say "Select Shell", then move it out of the way, you will find several UV squares that aren't attached to the shell.

Either you need to start over with the UVs for that particular head area, or manually snap the UVs of the individual squares to the layout you have already. It's hard to say which will be easier without knowing how many shells we're dealing with. If the texture is painted with ZBrush or some other vertex painting system, I'd suggest just remapping the UVs and reexport your texture maps. Hope that helps.

Edit: You might be able to solve this with the "Polygons->Flip" command in the UV editor. Try a combination of vertical and horizontal, but I still think they're rotated. It helps if you have the "Image->Shaded UVs" enabled.

Last edited by onetime : 03 March 2013 at 03:33 PM.

03 March 2013
onetime, you hit the nail on the head. The UVs are, in fact rotated 90 from their original positions, but it maintained the original layout. My new problem is that it did this for every single face on the model.

Do I have to snap each UV around to the correct position or is there some obscure way to fix it more quickly? The rotate command under Polygons in the UV Texture Editor rotates the face and doesn't give me what I need.

03 March 2013
Actually there is a Cycle UVs command, but it only works on a single selected face for some reason....
This MEL should loop through all selected faces and cycle the UVs.
You *may* be able to cycle all the faces some set ammount to fix this, unless it's random which is more fun.

{
string $selFaces[] = `ls -sl -fl`;
for ($each in $selFaces) {
select -r $each;
polyRotateUVsByVertex;
}
select -r $selFaces;
}

03 March 2013
You sir, are a life saver. It'll take me some time to get through all the UVs because some are rotated 90, some 270 and some not at all, but this is the fix.

03 March 2013
Awesome, glad that helped. How did you manage to rotate all the UVs like that in the first place? Any idea?

I didn't know about the Cycle UVs command, so that might come in handy some day.

03 March 2013
I believe it was the result of a Transfer Attributes from a model that had its vertices renumbered.

Live and learn...

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread