High quality specular reflection shader

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
High quality specular reflection shader

Hi guy,
I'm getting grips with Maya and 3D but this goes beyond me,
What I'm looking to do is create a complex shader similar to Mental Ray shaders...
The reason behind this is for a web based 3D viewer. Although the web based 3D viewers only support

Bump maps, Normal maps, Diffuse, Specular, texture map and transparency

Heres where it looses me,

I need the mental ray material to bake onto the Lambert/Blinn ( Which isn't a problem )
So it looks like a high quality shader. But then I would like the specular color
to move around when panning, tumbling the object in a 3D viewer

Next step if possible would be,

Also I'm looking for the reflection of the HDR ( Image based lighting )
to be live, so as you move the model around the reflection changes.

Or am I just asking to much?
Thanks guys!
Reis.

Last edited by reishill : 02 February 2013 at 02:58 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Don't under estimate the power of real time engine... if HDR lighting is what you want, most engines these days can do it in real time. You don't even need to bake anything from mental ray, most engines have their own material that is really good.

Just check out what Unity can do.
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/HDR.html

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Originally Posted by Panupat: Don't under estimate the power of real time engine... if HDR lighting is what you want, most engines these days can do it in real time. You don't even need to bake anything from mental ray, most engines have their own material that is really good.

Just check out what Unity can do.
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/HDR.html

Would HTML5/ Javascript be able to do this?
Reason I ask is because I don't want the viewers to have to download a plugin, where as for example,

www.r31s.co.uk/watch you can view straight away.

But thanks for the knowledge I'll bear that in mind, any idea of the poly count and keeping a decent FPS?

Thanks in advance

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Ah, HTML 5... I don't know much about it then.

Anyway. The kind of reflection you describe is not something you can fake with baking. You'll have to find some sort of material/shader system that works in HTML5 or javascript 3D space where you can actually set up your shader and plug your reflectivity texture to it.

Maybe something like this can do it. I don't know what this is but it seems to run on web browser without any plug ins. The examples on the first page looks like were made with quite complex shaders, too.
https://www.shadertoy.com/

The watch in that website by the way looks really horrible... not a good example.

Last edited by Panupat : 02 February 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Originally Posted by Panupat: Ah, HTML 5... I don't know much about it then.

Anyway. The kind of reflection you describe is not something you can fake with baking. You'll have to find some sort of material/shader system that works in HTML5 or javascript 3D space where you can actually set up your shader and plug your reflectivity texture to it.

Maybe something like this can do it. I don't know what this is but it seems to run on web browser without any plug ins. The examples on the first page looks like were made with quite complex shaders, too.
https://www.shadertoy.com/

The watch in that website by the way looks really horrible... not a good example.

Thanks for the link! much appreciated. Gave me something else to look into now.
Thanks again

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread