Not accepted to the gallery...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Not accepted to the gallery...

Hey guys,

I've learned that my latest piece was rejected from the gallery which surprised me since my previous project which is not this good was accepted. I do believe this is up to the standard of the gallery and also a finished image so I'm very eager to hear any input on why my picture was rejected.

Thanks

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Probably because it's just a simple background.
Or maybe because it's Walt not Skyler

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Originally Posted by scrimski: Probably because it's just a simple background.
Or maybe because it's Walt not Skyler

I've seen simpler backgrounds in portraits, and it's like this in the original breaking bad wallpaper I was using as reference...

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Impossible, your work is perfect ... I do not understand who may object to your work, personally I think it should be in the Choice Gallery.
Courage, I think very few works can reach the level of quality of the image.
If not accepted. So you can work in? carefully see the new images that appear in the gallery and check completed jobs are better than yours.
cheers my friend.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
i guess the competition has toughened. now they want unique alien type characters, or cartoonish style characters. even they might want to to have an environment in the character's background.although i found your work awesome.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
It seems to me in the last year the standards have sky rocketed. Technically your piece is awesome, but it would appear to me that it lacks the dynamism in composition that is seemingly required for the gallery.

BTW not putting down your piece, it shows amazing skill, it's just what it is, a portrait.

Dont feel bad though, there are plenty of places around the web to show off your work. My piece that won the HCM #36 challenge didn't get in either so I just stuck it up in my gallery and over at 3dartistonline.

Keep up the good work, cheers

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Heisenberg! You're god damn right...

This piece of art work is amazing. I'm having the same problems with a few pieces of art not getting into the gallery. I'm starting to think its for paid members only or something??

Don't let it get you down, and keep up the great work.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Your work is amazing! I think it's definitely not fair that your image got rejected in the gallery.
I really can't understand how they judge the works there, I've seen images with far less technical quality than yours and no background too getting aprooved in the gallery, even these days.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Thanks for the support guys, I'm happy that you like it at least

I went on a wild hunch and fixed a few very minor issues I've noticed and reuploaded the image so wish me luck, the judges may reconsider.

I don't know, I kinda doubt that it was rejected because it's just a portrait, portraits are a regular occurrence in the gallery, and often they even end up in the choice awards gallery. and they usually have a blank background too.

Thanks again for the support, your comments helped a lot

Old 02 February 2013   #10
The gallery submission can just be a luck of the draw. There are several judges, and you may have just not gotten past some specific judges.

Your work is very good on a technical level, but it could be much better with a bit of editing. This is perhaps the 4th portrait of Walt I've seen in as many months-and they all look similar.

Perhaps try to alter the lighting to make him look more sinister. Add in some dirt on his face, and alter his expression to one of fear, anger, or worry. This character has gone through so much in the TV show-you should really show that in the portrait.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
I think you did a great job.

However, I think (and this is just personal taste) you should need to make a bit dramatic light. Right now, it's like just one light (from the left) point on the character (except ofcourse diffuse lighting), and it's not very interesting. You may need some strong backlight on the left character shoulder, neck, and head so it doesn't go black like now.

Maybe place that main light top on his head, so shadows are pointing down in so called "butterfly lighting", and place 2 blue back-lights behind each of the shoulder, so the shape of the character is defined. This should give stronger appearance of the character. I might be wrong, though.

This grandma has similar background like yours, but notice how much dramatic lighting it is:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=121&t=1017785

This is also fine example of the great lighting on character imho:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=121&t=981866

On the minor things, I think you might need some more translucent on the shirt, and also, maybe some more "life" on the bear. Perhaps a little bit more SSS on the skin (but not too much).

These are just my proposal based mainly on personal taste, so do not take them very seriously.

P.S. Vidim da si iz Novog Sada. Ja živim u Kamenici u NS i radim sa nekim momcima u malom studiju, pa, obzirom da dolazi proleće, dođi nekad da roštiljamo i rakijamo.

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Thanks Pyke and D4rk3lf for the detailed response and critique.

I agree with what you have to say and I would probably say the same thing, but I just want to mention that the reason the lighting is as it is, is because I was going for a particular look from one of the Breaking Bad wallpapers, so I tried to match it as closely as possible. This maybe wasn't the best idea as I could've chosen a more creative route, but I chose to make this clean portrait look that inspired me from that particular image in the first place.

Also, some parts could've been a bit better with slight tweaking, the forehead and some other areas are too harsh, and would benefit from slightly more SSS, and the cut on the forehead is just a bit too deep.

PS: @D4rk3lf hahaha moze! aduj me na fejsu /joex93

Old 02 February 2013   #13
Woah! Amazing work man :3

Old 02 February 2013   #14
I agree with the previous suggestions, but i like him. Anyway, my Carlos was rejected too.

Old 02 February 2013   #15
You know what stands out to me is the lack of reflection in the glasses, i'm sure you have gone for the lack on purpose but it might help just to add some subtle reflections to indicate the environment he's in.

Thread Closed share thread