A simple question about topology, sculpting and bash meshes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Thumbs up A simple question about topology, sculpting and bash meshes

Hi everyone. This is my second time modelling the human form, I had to restart the last one as my model's topology was a bit off and I decided to start with better practises recommended by my friends. My final objective is to create an in game character with the same level of detail as those found in mass effect 2. I'd like to start with a high definition model which I will then project a normal map onto a low poly model, modelled separately. I've run into a problem already though, in that even though I am using dynamesh, my model's face is too low in resolution to model the eyes. If I increase the polycount though, the rest of his body gains a lot of unnecessary detail that slows my work down.

What I want to know is, is it essential/better to create a base mesh in another box modelling program like blender or maya and then use that as the base for the sculpt, rather than using zspheres or dynamesh? what are your opinions on this?

on a side note, I've unfortunately melded his armpit closed using dynamesh, is there a way to "cut" it open again?

02 February 2013
If you're planning on doing a hi-res mesh then retopo to create low res mesh workflow (which is pretty much the standard), then no, there's no reason to box model a base-mesh instead of using ZSphere's and Dynamesh (unless it's faster for you). To get around problems with mesh density, either you can use qremesher, or you can mask everywhere but the face and just subdivide the face (this can lead to some wonkiness where the higher res area meets the lower res area, but in my experience you can normally get away with it).

02 February 2013
Thanks again, I think I'll try the masking option

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread