Transferring UV and texture map between models problem...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Transferring UV and texture map between models problem...

Hi, 3D noob here, and I'm hoping some of you could help me out here? I'm in a group project, and we have a character. The rigger imported character reference model version 4 to build a rig, while the modeler continues to finish, uv, and texture the model. The rigger localized the reference model before the uv and texture were added, and pass it on to the animators to animate. The modeler didn't know that, and now we have different models of this character - 1 with final mesh, uv, and texture, and 1 with rig and animation and slightly different vertices, and no texture or uv. Is there a way to combine all of them into 1 model? Thank you!

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Given that you have a different vertices positions/count, I think your best bet will be to GATOR the enveloping from the rigged version to the finished and textured model. UVS don't transfer as well as enveloping due to the spatial methods gator uses to transfer data.

So import the finished mesh into the same scene as the rigged model, ensure it is in the same space and as close to the rigged mesh (which has to be in its default pose) as possible, and let GATOR work its magic. Then you have a rigged finished model, and just need to transfer over the animation. I hope the animators were working with a referenced model? In which case you should just be able to point the ref model to the new model source.

If the animators were working with local models, you need to plot out the animation to an action source for all the rig components, and import and apply it to the new model.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thank you for replying! Our animators were working with localized model. Reference model couldn't be rigged. We'll try your methods come Monday. Thanks again!

Old 02 February 2013   #4
We discovered that the reason UV map won't translate is because some of the points/vertices on the 2 mesh don't match each other. In other words, one of the model was further refined and edited, but the older version was the one that got animated on. In the end, our character modeler re-uv'ed the animated model and re-textured it, since it was impossible to find out just which point/vertices have changed. We'll make sure to have a finalized model before animation starts next time. Thanks again for your reply!

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Sounds like you have some good lessons to learn from this project! Number one would be when working in a group organisation is the key factor, so get a production bible started on google docs or excel and stick to it religiously.

In production, you will almost never have a finished, textured model before you start animating, and even if you do the client will ask for changes half way through, so you have to have a pipeline set up to be able to update rigs and models. For a group like yours the ref model system should work fine, as long as the animators are working with a referenced model then changes are easily propagated.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
The group project finished on time and it turned out pretty well! Can't show links though, 'cos group lead is thinking of submitting it to the BFX competition so no spoilers! We have some planning in the beginning, but since we were all new to 3D pipeline, it was far from a perfect plan. The next and last project seems like a solo-one for me, but I'll sure to remember this lesson from now on! Thanks Mattmos!

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread