Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

HCR Challenge#37: Femme Fatale-Batgirl

I'm going to try and complete this within the given amount of time, it's definitely going to be a Challenge.

After Roberto gave the example of Batgirl, I thought to myself, 'I've got to do this!'.

So here we go!

WikiAttack! (Apparently Barbara is back on her feet in the New 52)

Barbara Gordon is written as having regained her mobility after undergoing experimental surgery at a South African clinic.
Series writer Gail Simone stated that while the character is "one of the smartest and toughest women in comics ... One thing the book is truly about, is that the after-effects of something like PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) or other trauma-related syndromes, can strike even very smart, very intellectually tough people, even soldiers and cops", a subject that is generally overlooked in comic books. She also explained the method of the character's recovery is based upon real life experiences in that "some of the best real world work in the field of mobility rehabilitation is coming from South Africa. People have been talking about this as if it's some sort of mystical thing like returning from the dead, but there are treatments and surgeries that can restore mobility in some cases. Barbara's spine was not severed. That makes her a candidate."

Old 02-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

Working in Max and Mudbox at this time, but it looks like I'll have to either clean up the basemesh at the crotch because of bad pinching that is going to occur in Mudbox.

Would like to use Mudbox all they way through, but you got to love Zbrush's Dynamesh function.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

Spent a few hours trying to define muscle structure correctly for an athletic female.
Only on 3rd subdivision level.
Haven't touched arms, hands, head or chest area.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

Update on the head.
She'll have a cowl of course, but I wanted to add in all the detail, like the ears. May have to move them down a bit too.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
h2olt
Disciple of the Gray Poly

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Send a message via AIM to h2olt Send a message via Yahoo to h2olt
Just wondering why you're going with that old danger girl turnaround for your body proportions?

I don't want to knock your progress, and it is looking good, it's just that I've seen people use that reference so many times and it's difficult to make it look like anything other than a J Scott Campbell danger girl. The covers from the new 52 version of Barbara Gordon have an athletic prowess that perfectly matches batgirl and it's just a shame to see them thrown up as reference and then ignored...

Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Super strong reference. This is going to be a goodie!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

Ha, thanks, trying to get more of it complete.
Ran into Mudbox problems and seeing how I wasn't familiar with it, I am now. Definitely a learning experience.

As of now, working on some accessories, this includes costume/armor. Not a fan of the weird belt, so I'm going to use artistic freedom.

Hoping to post a few more images tonight.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

It's been awhile since I've made any progress on this.
Tried working on the belt but still not satisfied with the results so far. Wasn't sure to stick with a bag type or go for a boxed metal type.
Also the belt itself isn't all that "attractive" for a Batgirl. Needs to be slimmed down and not as thick in my opinion.

I'm going to pause on this portion and move onto her armor outfit and try to get that cowl done.

I made a huge mistake when doing this character, I should have done the head separate from the body but I did it all in one piece.

I tried exporting to Zbrush and use the famed Decimation Master, however you really don't want to use that and then go back to adding in detail. Because your mesh gets all screwed up.
I don't have any good topology tools to use to reduce my polycount to a more manageable level, so I guess I'll go back to my huge Mudbox file.

Not familiar with QRemesher in Zbrush as I have an older version.
If anyone knows of a better tool for retopoing mesh to keep the detail without a bake let me know.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

Hey rhinton, you can use any retopo technique, even the standard one in zbrush, then just project the details of the old shell onto a subdivided version of the new topo mesh.

Looks like it is going well.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I would really give Qremesher a try. It's worth an upgrade just to try it out. But like Kanga said, you can always reproject your details once you retopologize using any method.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

Thanks guys, I did a character years ago and it looked horrible, so trying to get back into the workflow of things with this.

I remember seeing the Zsphere retopo method and I'll probably give that one a try here pretty soon. Might be happening this week.

Basically trying to get the costume all tweeked out as you can see in the image below.

I ended up going to level 7 in Mudbox with the Head and Body and the count was up to 32 million polys. Horribly inefficient!
But I needed more subs because of the face and everything was one piece.
Wonder if they'll bring back Subdivide by Selection in Muds.

Last edited by rhinton : 03-11-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

Weird how her waist looks super anorexic when I added that armored rib bone piece under the breasts, so decided to post this image to show it doesn't look that bad without it.

Full Size Here.

Last edited by rhinton : 03-11-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
h2olt
Disciple of the Gray Poly

portfolio
Holt Harper
3d Artist
Gas Powered Games
Kirkland, USA

Send a message via AIM to h2olt Send a message via Yahoo to h2olt
With those hard planes polished it's looking a lot more 'batgirl' keep at it with the details.

I hate to beleaguer a point, but that anorexic look is a problem when trying to base your model off of that J Scott Campbell turnaround. His characters aren't drawn to contain real world anatomy, and they don't function as 3D shapes. There are a lot of appealing shapes in Campbell's drawings but they barely maintain continuity with themselves from page to page. The result: anorexia. You've honestly done great job of crating his character in 3D it will just never look 'right'.

Last edited by h2olt : 03-13-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

There are a lot of artists that dont like the comic strip style. Maybe that is because they have had enough of it, like orcs and boobies. I personally really love that style, that Campbell approach. If I look at video games for example then the character anatomy is fairly stretched to fantasy proportions. Games like Vindictus, or Tera. Most often you will see a cross between anatomy styles like Eve and the Lara in the latest game.

I think it doesnt matter as much what style as long as the muscle positions, insertions and masses are in the right place to make the figure tell the story you want and be marketable at the same time. I am pretty sure all your pics are in ortho view which many artists like to work in but it makes the cranium large and is a little weird to look at when others have to asses the work.

Its really nice work but I miss the muscles and their volumes. I think you only have to suggest the masses are under the surface because muscle broads are another can of worms. Its hard to tell how attractive the face is atm maybe that needs a bit of love too.

Great stuff keep it going!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I only just compared the face to that red head you posted in the reference. I think that is coming along very well.

I wanted to comment yesterday but I wasn't sure how to word it without sounding harsh. Basically I'm looking at the reference you posted of Batgirl with the gold trim. I thought that was the look you were going for but I guess not. It might be good to show what ref. this is actually based on. I'm not familiar with comics enough to know particular artists (just the stories) so I don't know what its based on. Her current proportions with the super squeezed waist going to the big hips makes it look like shes wearing a very painful corset. It's also creating that big arch at the base of her back. To me it just looks unnatural but that may be what you're going for.

If you do have a reference of what you're going for that would probably help me judge it better.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread