New Zealand bans Rockstar's 'Manhunt'

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12 December 2003   #1
New Zealand bans Rockstar's 'Manhunt'

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...section=general

Things arent looking good for this company, are they? Cant wait for the next iteration of GTA though....
 
Old 12 December 2003   #2
Re: New Zealand bans Rockstar's 'Manhunt'

Quote: Originally posted by Array
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...section=general

Things arent looking good for this company, are they? Cant wait for the next iteration of GTA though....


Makes me proud to be a Kiwi
__________________
www.huhustudios.com
hairDensity = 1/currentAge
 
Old 12 December 2003   #3
Is it banned anywhere else?
NZ isn't really that hard on content, well.. in comparison to others, Australia has a few games banned which NZ has as M.. and R18.

I saw something about it on ABC News, I'd expect the US to have it banned within this year, if it hasn't already.

It does look a little excessive.. plastic bags.. grotting ;\
__________________
Yes, I live in New Zealand, no... I do not work for Weta.
Http://www.NukeCG.com
 
Old 12 December 2003   #4
You're telling me that's an actual game? Unbelievable. GTA is one thing, but this is really sick. Killing someone by suffocation, on purpose, even in a game, takes a sick mind to think up, and even act upon it. I'm sorry but Rockstar needs some moral help. I mean seriously, who thinks that this game is fun?

I fear for our species sometimes.

__________________
Online Portfolio
 
Old 12 December 2003   #5
I second that chadtheartist. I so much wish our country had more morals with things like this. While loving games and CG movies, I really fear the creative "sick" minds that will use technology in 3D graphics to create things like this.
__________________
 
Old 12 December 2003   #6
From the moment Manhunt was announced I knew I would not rent it. GTA is fun on various levels, comical, satirical, but Manhunt is just passing violence under the pretex of story-telling. Just like State of Emergency (which sucked ass) Rockstar definitly put ideas over content this time. Unlike a game like the ninja-simulator Tenchu, in which you have various ways to kill your enemies but isn't the focus of the game, the violence is logical within the context of the game, just like violence in a war-related story. Manhunt is an invented story used as a pretex for putting violent content.

The story is about someone given the death penalty, but instead of being killed is actually just put to sleep and transported to some city filled with nutcase criminals, all for the purpose of making a movie. The whole city is controlled by a "Director" whom is constantly watching over you. Your goal is of course to escape, but violence is necessary to achieve this.

This is much like the Japanese movie where a bunch of school kids are brought to an island and are forced to take part of a game where all must kill each other or be killed.

The story is defendable, but the spin put on it cannot be ignored. And when you make a game like Manhunt, you MUST take responsibilities and wonder if it is worth making at all. Even if the game is not aimed at kids, a game where everything revolves around murder is just ridiculous. It's too bad, don't expect the good games they made to be protected when they also produce crap like this game. Max Payne and GTA are great games that are somewhat balanced in content (Max Payne more than GTA), Manhunt is almost insulting.

But the problem for me is that games like Driver (the third one is about to be released), which are definitly unlike the games above, much more in line with what Hollywood has been making, may suffer because of more radical games. When people will have seen enough of Manhunt-like crap, they won't bother to study each and every case to see if the game goes overboard or not, they'll put them all in the same bag.

I would actually like to hear gaming companies release a unified statement on the matter and also in which they express their condemnation of irresponsible gaming content which hurts them all. If Rockstar must take the fall then so be it, but so far 99% of gaming companies have been responsible in the creation of their games, I don't want them to bend over because of 1%.
__________________

 
Old 12 December 2003   #7
this isn't a CRIME sim like GTA. this is a MURDER SIM. methinks Rockstar gone a bit too far with their violent games...

problem is this game's gonna be like "the forbidden fruit". teenagers, kids probably gonna want it real bad.

heh, i can almost see the possible headlines if this game's production is not stopped... "Teen arrested for school garrotting", "Teen stabbed neighbour with broken bottle" etc etc.

banning games is almost pointless in this internet age. most effective method is probably recalling the games before it hits the market coz once it's out there... well... u get my point.
__________________
Check out my pretties!
 
Old 12 December 2003   #8
Could someone who has seen some footage of it (general footage.. not hyped up media scenes where it is the extreme footage only) compare it to your average horror movie/FPS/TV ?

I understand the interactive side of gaming, how that could increasingly drive a more violent mentality more than viewing a movie, but is there anything on Par with this which is not banned?
__________________
Yes, I live in New Zealand, no... I do not work for Weta.
Http://www.NukeCG.com
 
Old 12 December 2003   #9
I find this ironic considering that New Zealand is the home of Peter Jackson's Bad Taste and Dead Alive, the latter of which is one of the goriest movies ever made..
 
Old 12 December 2003   #10
I think game developers should be judged for the content of their games, before they start production, or during production. Definitely before they throw their product in the market where its too late to back up and ban it.
I'm afraid those people are taking advantage of the lack of laws in many nations, regarding game content.
Making murder sims is unthinkable to me. If it was in my hand, i would shut this company down.
__________________
Dennik

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.



 
Old 12 December 2003   #11
Quote: I understand the interactive side of gaming, how that could increasingly drive a more violent mentality more than viewing a movie, but is there anything on Par with this which is not banned?


No there is nothing that even comes close, and here's why:

Games like GTA, Tenchu (Ninja simulator) or Medal of Honor contain violence, but those games are based on existing "worlds". GTA is about organized crime with a satirical take on the absurdity of it all. Tenchu is about Ninjas that protect the innocent and try to save their land from crazy demon worshiping lords (it contains violence when you kill enemies as you have various ways to kill them, but ninjas do that anyway). Medal of Honor is a game based on World War 2, hence contains a lot of war-like violence such as guns and tanks, it's normal as well.

There are also games that contain violence and that are not based on reality, such as Silent Hill. But games like Silent Hill are horror games in which the goal is to scare the player as one would do in a horror movie or book. There might be weird creatues and bleeding walls, but it is justfiable within the context of the game.

Manhunt centers around murder and killing. Even if all your enemies are other psychopathic gangs, the game was built around the idea of utmost violent content. That is what makes it extremely irresponsible as Rockstar knew very well the consequences of making such a game and they could have put their creative energy to develop something more responsible as they have done in the past without limiting their freedom.

This is why Rockstar must be condemned and other companies must release an immediate unified statement in which they all ask the government to enforce the rating system so as to protect themselves from the unslaught that will come because of Rockstar's Manhunt. It will enable them to distance themselves from Rockstar's game, which is really the only one that has went overboard, and demonstrate their integrity facing their own products, the general public and gamers as well.

I sent a simillar letter to a few companies before, I hope others who share the same view will do as well. If companies do not release a unified statement on the matter the rating system will not be enforced in time and all videogame companies will -greatly- suffer from this.
__________________

 
Old 12 December 2003   #12
Quote: Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"
No there is nothing that even comes close, and here's why:

Games like GTA, Tenchu (Ninja simulator) or Medal of Honor contain violence, but those games are based on existing "worlds". GTA is about organized crime with a satirical take on the absurdity of it all. Tenchu is about Ninjas that protect the innocent and try to save their land from crazy demon worshiping lords (it contains violence when you kill enemies as you have various ways to kill them, but ninjas do that anyway). Medal of Honor is a game based on World War 2, hence contains a lot of war-like violence such as guns and tanks, it's normal as well.

There are also games that contain violence and that are not based on reality, such as Silent Hill. But games like Silent Hill are horror games in which the goal is to scare the player as one would do in a horror movie or book. There might be weird creatues and bleeding walls, but it is justfiable within the context of the game.

Manhunt centers around murder and killing. Even if all your enemies are other psychopathic gangs, the game was built around the idea of utmost violent content. That is what makes it extremely irresponsible as Rockstar knew very well the consequences of making such a game and they could have put their creative energy to develop something more responsible as they have done in the past without limiting their freedom.

This is why Rockstar must be condemned and other companies must release an immediate unified statement in which they all ask the government to enforce the rating system so as to protect themselves from the unslaught that will come because of Rockstar's Manhunt. It will enable them to distance themselves from Rockstar's game, which is really the only one that has went overboard, and demonstrate their integrity facing their own products, the general public and gamers as well.

I sent a simillar letter to a few companies before, I hope others who share the same view will do as well. If companies do not release a unified statement on the matter the rating system will not be enforced in time and all videogame companies will -greatly- suffer from this.


Have you played the game though? I haven't had a chance to play it myself, but I cant imagine it being any worse than some othe games I've played.
 
Old 12 December 2003   #13
Quote: Have you played the game though? I haven't had a chance to play it myself, but I cant imagine it being any worse than some othe games I've played.


It's not a game. That's my whole point. It's designed to encourage people to think of more "creative" ways to go about killing someone. Then to top it off you can "Watch" it over again as if to sensationalize your actions. That to me doesn't constitute in any way that this is a game. A game is supposed to fun, in my book, but this is horrific.

As far as my opinion on this and GTA, they are the same. IMO, there is no need to add reckless violence in any game, especially when you can "simulate" real life situations. How many kids do you think tried to pick up a prostitute in GTA Vice City, just to see what happens? I think they could have left it out entirely and the gameplay would have been just as good. But I seem to hold a minority opinion on that. I just hope Rockstar is ready for what's about to come. Because I'm sure a lot of people are going to be complaining about this "game" in the near future.
__________________
Online Portfolio
 
Old 12 December 2003   #14
Quote: Originally posted by chadtheartist
It's not a game. That's my whole point. It's designed to encourage people to think of more "creative" ways to go about killing someone. Then to top it off you can "Watch" it over again as if to sensationalize your actions. That to me doesn't constitute in any way that this is a game. A game is supposed to fun, in my book, but this is horrific.

As far as my opinion on this and GTA, they are the same. IMO, there is no need to add reckless violence in any game, especially when you can "simulate" real life situations. How many kids do you think tried to pick up a prostitute in GTA Vice City, just to see what happens? I think they could have left it out entirely and the gameplay would have been just as good. But I seem to hold a minority opinion on that. I just hope Rockstar is ready for what's about to come. Because I'm sure a lot of people are going to be complaining about this "game" in the near future.


These games are NOT designed for kids in mind. The IDSA gave GTA and Manhunt mature ratings. It's up to the retailers and parents to enforce these.
 
Old 12 December 2003   #15
Quote: Originally posted by chadtheartist
IMO, there is no need to add reckless violence in any game, especially when you can "simulate" real life situations. How many kids do you think tried to pick up a prostitute in GTA Vice City, just to see what happens?


how is picking up a prostitute reckless violence? i'd be more concerned about the part where you run over people!

actually, that part is pretty fun, now that i think about it.
__________________

 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.