VRayScatter 3.0 for Maya released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
VRayScatter 3.0 for Maya released

http://forum.rendering.ru/viewtopic...0447b4f7c6b4332

I saw that VRayScatter 3.0 has been released recently, has anyone been using this in production?

I'm curious to buy it, but I have seen some performance issues on CGTalk, although that was a year ago.

Can anyone share their experience in how it has gone in a production recently? I'd try a demo, but there is none :(

I'm surprised with the big Forests thread, that there is not more talk of this plugin.

Last edited by Hamburger : 02 February 2013 at 04:01 AM.

02 February 2013
curious to know how this compares with something like Carbon Scatter. I realize it's a small developer but it's hard to know what any of this is like without a demo.

02 February 2013
These are the guys that made MultiScatter for 3dsMax. Its amazing. (for maya we just use spPaint for the Vray proxy's) ... though there are new alternatives in Maya 2013 which i have not tried yet.
Carbon scatter is somewhat of a demo, which crashes. And crashes.... and...

vray scatter though this vid is pretty old now....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mz7vdm02js

Last edited by refract : 02 February 2013 at 07:18 AM.

02 February 2013
Carbon scatter is very weird and unstable. Doesn't feel integrated and crash Maya all the time.

Multiscatter on MAX however I've heard nothing but praises. Never tried the one for Maya but I have quite a high expectation.

02 February 2013
it seems like everything that eon software does is a buggy mess unless it's the Vue standalone app. Considering how frequently they update that with new paid versions, I'm a little suspicious of Vue's stability too.

02 February 2013
as far as i know works great

some tests i did recently nothing fancy, some grass with forest trees

02 February 2013
Thanks Bazuka, exactly what I hope for, although something like that would be achievable with just Geometry Instancing with Maya Particles?

Have you been able to mimick this kind of stuff?

02 February 2013
BTW, also very cool news today:

http://rendering.ru/ru_en/news/Vray...-beta-test.html

That would be the ultimate solution for a basic layer of grass, then V-Ray Scatter over the top for longer grass and bushes.

(^ VrayPattern)

Last edited by Hamburger : 02 February 2013 at 11:20 PM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Hamburger: Thanks Bazuka, exactly what I hope for, although something like that would be achievable with just Geometry Instancing with Maya Particles?

Have you been able to mimick this kind of stuff?

sorry for delay, yes its possible to get with maya particles and painted emit map but ull need an extra coding for random/range scale, rotate etc...

as for the 2nd questiong, i didnt tried yet, let u know asap

cheers

02 February 2013
so, where do you buy this and how much is it?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by bazuka: as for the 2nd questiong, i didnt tried yet, let u know asap

No problem, just curious to compare it to the Max version which there is plenty of videos and info...I mean apart from that one render on the R&D page there is ZERO info about VRayScatter for Maya and how it actually works.

02 February 2013
Been waiting for a Maya version for a long time. I hope it can handle large numbers of instances without running into memory issues; LayoutTools for instance throws a spazz when you try and replicate a decent number of instances at once, and using particles is a pain to get say one patch of grass per face without mel scripting (which I'm no good at).

Originally Posted by refract: These are the guys that made MultiScatter for 3dsMax. Its amazing. (for maya we just use spPaint for the Vray proxy's) ... though there are new alternatives in Maya 2013 which i have not tried yet.
Carbon scatter is somewhat of a demo, which crashes. And crashes.... and...

What alternatives would those be?

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread