OctaneRender 1.1 available

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
OctaneRender 1.1 available

Hi,

we are pleased to announce that version 1.1 of OctaneRender, the physically based GPU renderer, is finally available! This version contains the following features:

- real-time post processing (bloom and glare)
- more accurate daylight system
- importance sampling of HDRI environment maps allowing much faster convergence to a noiseless image
- shadow catcher material for compositing
- orthographic camera

A free demo of OctaneRender 1.1 for Windows, Mac or Linux can be downloaded here

OctaneRender 1.1 overview video (all rendered in real-time)

For more info and screenshots, please visit this thread.

Last edited by OctaneRender : 02 February 2013 at 07:36 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Amazing release. Octane is really coming along nicely.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Is it possible to light in traditional way in Octane, by moving light around?

Old 02 February 2013   #4
The rendering speed looks very impressive. What graphics card is used in the video?

Old 02 February 2013   #5
The video says 8 GPUs. I'd guess 680/580s...

Old 02 February 2013   #6
SheepFactory: thanks, we'll have a lot more to show very soon

ienrdna: yes, it's possible to move lights (sunlight, environment, area lights, IES lights) in real time, this is currently easier to achieve with the integrated plugins than with the standalone. To facilitate the artist workflow, we aim to support all the major 3D packages: fully integrated plugins are currently available for 3dsMax, Maya and Poser and integrated plugins for Blender, Cinema 4D, Daz, Lightwave, Softimage, ArchiCAD and AutoCAD are going to be released soon.

DePaint: thanks! We used four GeForce GTX 690 cards to render this video in real-time (8 GPUs in total). When the user holds the camera still, the image converges immediately as you can see in the last part of the video, which shows a human head consisting of 5 milllion triangles, rendered with path traced subsurface scattering and HDR environment lighting. Octane's rendering performance scales linearly when using multiple GPUs, so 4x GTX 690 cards render 4x as fast as one 690 or 8x as fast as one 680.

Last edited by OctaneRender : 02 February 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Sam quick question,

On the manual it says you can use the exporter script for maya/max/etc to get your models quickly into octane standalone. Where is that script? I can't seem to find it at the downloads page.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
really like octane ..
did some render with it a while ago ..
http://xtrm3d.cgsociety.org/gallery/881416/
http://xtrm3d.cgsociety.org/gallery/881415/
http://xtrm3d.cgsociety.org/gallery/880746/

i just bought a 680 with 4 gig of ram as i look into starting to use it again , now that it seem that this little gem that octane is , is in very good hands :-)

while i own stand alone and a maya licence.. my short experience on the maya side of thing is not making me too happy compared with teh amazing stride of teh stand alone ( mostly speed of starting the render ,, and a some crash there and there )
but that ok .. since the maya version is still in beta :-)

really good price for a great tool :-)

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Sam quick question,

On the manual it says you can use the exporter script for maya/max/etc to get your models quickly into octane standalone. Where is that script? I can't seem to find it at the downloads page.

The exporter scripts for Max and Maya are no longer actively developed and have been superseeded by the fully integrated plugins. You can still find an old Max2Octane exporter script in this thread and a Maya exporter script here. You should definitely try the free demos for the integrated Max and Maya plugins on this page: http://render.otoy.com/downloads.php

xtrm3d: I remember those renders, some competition winning material in there ;-)

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Quote: xtrm3d: I remember those renders, some competition winning material in there ;-)

thank you .. but no sir .. never did win any competition .. or did i miss something ?

i saw that you guys are using two of those image on your web page ..
but my name is cropped out :-(

anyway .. still really like octane :-)

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Originally Posted by xtrm3d: thank you .. but no sir .. never did win any competition .. or did i miss something ?

i saw that you guys are using two of those image on your web page ..
but my name is cropped out :-(

anyway .. still really like octane :-)

Checked out the website, I did see your two images, hopefully you get credited.

Anyways, I'll try the demo, but two questions. How do you think my gtx460 will perform, and do you recommend gtx-5xx or gtx-6xx; I've see many discussions on whats better as far as the core architecture but it's still a toss up in my opinion.
Thanks.

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Originally Posted by OctaneRender: SheepFactory: thanks, we'll have a lot more to show very soon

ienrdna: yes, it's possible to move lights (sunlight, environment, area lights, IES lights) in real time, this is currently easier to achieve with the integrated plugins than with the standalone. To facilitate the artist workflow, we aim to support all the major 3D packages: fully integrated plugins are currently available for 3dsMax, Maya and Poser and integrated plugins for Blender, Cinema 4D, Daz, Lightwave, Softimage, ArchiCAD and AutoCAD are going to be released soon

I have been very excited for the Softimage plugin for more than a year now. I really would like to know a realistic timeframe when it will be released. I want to buy it, but right now I can't even try it out. The beta is closed, there is no trial, and I have a real desire to purchase it. I am in the position of wanting it, but have no access to it. I have tried the standalone, which is great, but the integration is really what I am after.

Can you give us ANY idea of the release probability, and if/how I might be able to try it out?

Thank you for your time.

VFX artist, animator, modeler, simulate, professor and engineer
Pixel Monkey for 26+ years

http://www.theafterimage.com

@rendertwit

Old 02 February 2013   #13
Originally Posted by xtrm3d: really like octane ..
did some render with it a while ago ..
http://xtrm3d.cgsociety.org/gallery/881416/
http://xtrm3d.cgsociety.org/gallery/881415/
http://xtrm3d.cgsociety.org/gallery/880746/

i just bought a 680 with 4 gig of ram as i look into starting to use it again , now that it seem that this little gem that octane is , is in very good hands :-)

while i own stand alone and a maya licence.. my short experience on the maya side of thing is not making me too happy compared with teh amazing stride of teh stand alone ( mostly speed of starting the render ,, and a some crash there and there )
but that ok .. since the maya version is still in beta :-)

really good price for a great tool :-)

Yea I just tried the Maya demo and while being able to change the scene and see the result instantly is nice it is nowhere near as good as the standalone as far as ease of rendering and look dev.

The standalone renderer is more like photography than rendering, it is such a joy to work with and I only have a single GTX 470, I can only imagine how much better it would be with your card.

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Is their any light at the end of the tunnel toward displacement map support or is this just still impossible for GPU and ram limits on this kind of PT rendering?

Old 02 February 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread