Rigging a Centaur using Cat in 3DsMax

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Rigging a Centaur using Cat in 3DsMax

Hey I'm trying to rig a centaur in using Cat in 3ds Max.
I'm relatively new to rigging in 3ds Max and wanted to give Cat a try.
I was able to apply the main body to the horse using the horse bones preset and deleted the neck and head of the horse.
Now I need to rig the human upper body.
I noticed there is the base human bones preset which creates a humanoid skeleton to work with. It would be great if I could get the upper body of this skeleton and combine it with the body of the horse. Is it at all possible to combine the two rigs together while also deleting the lower body for the human?

Does anyone else have any sort of suggestions on how to rig the upper human body for the centaur? I noticed that if you start from scratch it always creates a base control to go off of. Is there anyway to start a rig without the base control.

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Weeeeell, it should be possible .

But you see, CAT might be useful, but it can be a real b**ch sometimes . I onc tried something similar to what you are proposing and, oh well, the rig got pretty unstable towards the end and I just started from scratch.

The best approach would be to take the horse preset, rip the head and neck off and just add a spine, arm left, throw in the joints for the fingers, copy paste right arm, add the head and there you go. This allows you to have full control over your rig creation process.

Make sure you got the manual open on your screen and you should be able to finish the job in a few hours from scratch to final joint placement.

Have fun

Chris

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread