USA

Autodesk 123D Creatures lets you create monsters on your iPad

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Thanks, I will give that a try. I hope it's better than 123D sculpt, which is nice but a bit limiting.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Okay, I bought it today and had a quick try. Initial impressions are that it isn't a lot different to 123D Sculpt, and lacks some of the nice tools that Sculpt has. Also the mesh geometry appears to be lowish like Sculpt, so sculpting fine details is kind of like trying to paint the Mona Lisa with a sweeping brush. Also, Creatures only allows us to work in portrait mode, and I prefer the landscape option in Sculpt.

Now for the good parts. The skeleton creation thing is cool, kind of like zspheres in ZBrush except you add joints and bones instead of spheres. You dont have to only make creatures either, the skeleton can be set for heads and solid objects. The sculpting tools are same as in 123D Sculpt but they left some of them behind as I mentioned. You can effectively sculpt many things in addition to creatures.

The big deal in my view is Render. Creatures has a very cool render function that is a piece of cake to use. You can add images as backgrounds and your rendered monster drops in and shadows integrate properly with the background. It's a bit basic but works well for what it is.

I will post some stuff up from Creatures later. My iPad battery ran out while I was playing, and I can't find the charger. Might be time to clean up my bedroom so I can find things.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Okay I found my charger and did a quickie Bruce Willis caricature. Straight render from 123 Creature, no PS except to resize and convert from png to jpg.

Overall, 123 Creature is not much different than 123D Sculpt. Fun to use but very lacking for serious users wanting a pro app.
It needs to have at least;

Masking, badly needed.

The ability to zoom an image up for painting image texture onto mesh (I used that for the eyes, the rest is straight painting in the app) instead of having to zoom the object down onto the image.

The smooth brush is far far too strong even on the lowest setting of 1.

More brushes needed, similar to pinch, dam standard and others. Ability to sculpt finer detail, use alphas etc.

Painting gets smudged up on export, even though it's a 2k png file. That did piss me off, seeing the painting details ruined.

Rendering needs more options, like control over lights shadows and some other things.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching. For €1.79 this is good value, but isn't ZBrush light by any means. Autodesk should really just have added all the stuff into the existing 123D Sculpt as the new app is really little different except for rendering.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
bought it yesterday...pretty good for it's limitations, you can export to obj and this gives you a model of around 130K polys and the texture map.

it's not going to worry zbrush/blender/mudbox but it's a fun app on the ipad

note you'll need IOS 6 for this so those with an ipad 1...your out of luck!

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Magnus3D
Expert

portfolio
Magnus Rönnkvist
Freelance 3D artist and photographer
Göteborg, Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to Magnus3D Send a message via MSN to Magnus3D Send a message via Yahoo to Magnus3D
As a Android user i would be annoyed to see this only being released for the iPad. However now when i see the endresults (no offense guys) i'm glad that this application does not exist for Android.

/ Magnus

Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
ah your just bitter!
btw i'm a ipad AND andriod user.

no offence taken!

as i said, it's not going to worry zbrush, mudbox or ANY serious sculpting apps anytime soon
but it is FUN and you can export to obj to work on it more in a real app.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

The only possible use I could see for this app would be to create a base-sculpt for further refinement in Zbrush. Which could be achieved in the time it would take to transfer the .obj from ipad to PC using zsphere/dynamesh....

Maybe it should be marketed in the direction of assimilating a whole new generation of innocent children into the Adesk black hole....

Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Cool work there Cress.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread