Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
mohinder
Frequenter
mohinder kaur
3d Visualiser
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to mohinder
Help bypassing render size limitation with Blowup render option.

I have been trying to render a 306.5cm by 126cm image. The printers have requested an image at 300dpi. So according to the calculations I made (with assitance from advice here http://area.autodesk.com/forum/auto...olution-images/) I need to render at a resolution of 37530 by 15428 pixels.

Maxs seems to have a render size limitation of 32768 pixels. I attemped to get around this restriction by splitting my images into 8 regions to render using the Blow-up render option (as described here : http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...&linkID=9241177)

But I seem to come across another limitation when I try to setup the Blowup Regions in the in the Viewport Configuration under the Regions tab. It won't allow me to enter values above a certain number so I am not able to precisely set all the regions to be blown up to render.

I have tried placing the Blow-up region manually in the viewports but when I render this causes mismatch/distortions in the perspective in the resulting renders so when stitching them together they don't match.

I would really appreciate some help with this as I have been struggling with it for days.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-14_180508.jpg (88.4 KB, 53 views)

Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohinder
I have been trying to render a 306.5cm by 126cm image. The printers have requested an image at 300dpi. So according to the calculations I made (with assitance from advice here http://area.autodesk.com/forum/auto...olution-images/) I need to render at a resolution of 37530 by 15428 pixels.

Maxs seems to have a render size limitation of 32768 pixels. I attemped to get around this restriction by splitting my images into 8 regions to render using the Blow-up render option (as described here : http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...&linkID=9241177)

But I seem to come across another limitation when I try to setup the Blowup Regions in the in the Viewport Configuration under the Regions tab. It won't allow me to enter values above a certain number so I am not able to precisely set all the regions to be blown up to render.

I have tried placing the Blow-up region manually in the viewports but when I render this causes mismatch/distortions in the perspective in the resulting renders so when stitching them together they don't match.

I would really appreciate some help with this as I have been struggling with it for days.

What is the image going to be used for?

In my experience many printers have no clue what they are talking about anymore (sadly).
They just throw 300dpi around because they heared somewhere its 'the standard'.
Rendering large format images at 300dpi is almost always overkill.

Its important to know what the image is going to be used for because from that we can derive the amount of detail (dpi's) that will be really needed.

Just to 'please' your printing guy... you can always render it at lower resolution and resize it in post (photoshop or whatever you prefer). Most printer guys wont even notice, especially those who think 300dpi is always needed.

Example; for common billboard advertising 75dpi is more than enough, since the image will never be looked at up close and thus it requires way less resolution than an art book for example.

What is really something you should watch out for though is RGB vs CMYK. Be sure to preview (and deliver) your image in CMYK format. This is important because printing works with CMYK and some colors may lose their 'vibrance'.

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 02-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
mohinder
Frequenter
mohinder kaur
3d Visualiser
United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply. I agree that normally 300dpi would be excess for this size especially if it was just for a billboard.

The image will be printed onto fabric for a curtain to be placed in an exhibition so it will be seen quite close up by visitors, so I think the 300dpi is justified in this case.

Thanks also for the tip about CMYK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
What is the image going to be used for?

In my experience many printers have no clue what they are talking about anymore (sadly).
They just throw 300dpi around because they heared somewhere its 'the standard'.
Rendering large format images at 300dpi is almost always overkill.

Its important to know what the image is going to be used for because from that we can derive the amount of detail (dpi's) that will be really needed.

Just to 'please' your printing guy... you can always render it at lower resolution and resize it in post (photoshop or whatever you prefer). Most printer guys wont even notice, especially those who think 300dpi is always needed.

Example; for common billboard advertising 75dpi is more than enough, since the image will never be looked at up close and thus it requires way less resolution than an art book for example.

What is really something you should watch out for though is RGB vs CMYK. Be sure to preview (and deliver) your image in CMYK format. This is important because printing works with CMYK and some colors may lose their 'vibrance'.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DaveWortley
Whilst it's not a very good idea you can infact override the Render size in max. the 32,000 pixel limit is just for the spinner value. But if you do try rendering over 32,000 you will need a lot of RAM!

Put this into your Maxscript listener
RenderWidth = 37268

The spinner will say 32,000 but max will render 37268.

I wouldn't bother going above 75dpi even for that sort of thing, 150dpi if you have to, that would give you a 18,000 pixel render which will be bad enough to work with in Photoshop.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
mohinder
Frequenter
mohinder kaur
3d Visualiser
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWortley
Put this into your Maxscript listener
RenderWidth = 37268
The spinner will say 32,000 but max will render 37268.

Thanks! I will give it a shot. Wish I knew about this before. Would have prevented all the phaffing about with Blow-up Region.

Do you know if I can use maxscript to change the values of Blowup Region in the Viewport Configuration, as I have already gone to the hassle of setting it all up this way?

Quote:
Whilst it's not a very good idea you can infact override the Render size in max. the 32,000 pixel limit is just for the spinner value. But if you do try rendering over 32,000 you will need a lot of RAM!.

I have found the Split Scan Line option in backburner really helps with this, as well as turning off the Render Frame window.

Quote:
I wouldn't bother going above 75dpi even for that sort of thing, 150dpi if you have to, that would give you a 18,000 pixel render which will be bad enough to work with in Photoshop.

Thanks. I will talk to the printers again. I am only using a few layers in Photoshop and though its feels at time like post-processing under water, its just about manageable with 16gb.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohinder
Thanks for your reply. I agree that normally 300dpi would be excess for this size especially if it was just for a billboard.

The image will be printed onto fabric for a curtain to be placed in an exhibition so it will be seen quite close up by visitors, so I think the 300dpi is justified in this case.

Thanks also for the tip about CMYK.

Considering you are printing on fabric... Are you sure that material can 'handle' 300dpi?
Fabrics tend to be quite rough, especially compated to paper...
I agree with DaveWortley on the 150dpi for this reason.

Anyway, i think there's a script out there that does what you are requesting automaticly...
(render cropped parts and stitching them togetter).
At least, i think i read something about a script that did that some time ago. I just dont seem to be able to track it back, sry...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread