Best Universities in America for Visual Effects (and what about UK)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Best Universities in America for Visual Effects (and what about UK)

So, I have a burning passion for Visual Effects, it's something I want to do when I get into the industry. So my question in short is, what UNIVERSITIES, not schools, are the best for Visual Effects in the US and UK. (Please make sure they actually teach VFX as a lot of them only dip into it)

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Originally Posted by FoodieFX: (Please make sure they actually teach VFX as a lot of them only dip into it)

This doesn't really make sense... The term VFX encompasses a very broad spectrum of disciplines, from matchmoving to roto to modelling to texturing to animation to shading and lighting to matte painting to FX to compositing, most of which are covered in courses, but since a course is only a few years, it's not really possible to go into great depth on each of them.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
I'll add that the danger in going too deep in a course is that comes at the expense of exposure to other things. Furthermore, you really need to learn not just how to do this or that, but why. Understanding the whys means you're better equipped to adapt and grow. A lot of that growth has to happen on your own, though.

Best case scenario is to have exposure to lots of topics and techniques and the opportunity to research and experiment on your own down a specific avenue or avenues, relying on faculty to help guide you on the path you choose.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Well on the technical side, you've got Stanford, MIT, Cal Berkeley, CalTech, Illinois, Utah, Texas, Michigan, Harvard, Purdue, and Carnegie Mellon.

I know most of the Big10 schools are reasonably well connected in the VFX/Animation world. Most of them offer everything from Computer Science with a specialization in graphics, to 3D animation and visualization. Lots of research went on at Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, and Ohio State back in the day, and many of those people went out to California to work in VFX when that started taking off.

I'm not sure whats going on at Utah nowadays, but back in the Warnock-Catmull days, it was an epicenter of graphics research. Very groovy times that must have been.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 02 February 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread