Light coming through a window in C4D using AR3..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Light coming through a window in C4D using AR3..

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a particular look going (please see the attached image), but I just can't seem to get it working with C4D 11.5's Advanced Renderer. I'm using an Infinite Light with Inverse Square for the main light source. Is this something I'm going to need an unbiased renderer for typically (if so, should I go for Indigo or VRay or something else)? I've looked at quite a few tutorials but I'm not finding anything that gets the kind of realistic look I'd like to achieve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lightSample.jpg (65.8 KB, 16 views)

Old 02 February 2013   #2
No need for unbiased rendering, its a bit overrated imho.

I dont see too much tricky stuff going on in that particular example so im not sure what it is you are looking for?

Theres some bloom going on from the window's lighting and quite low depth of field.

Maybe its not a bad idea to post what you already got and work from there?

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Hey Chritter,

Here's an attempt using C4D 11.5's global illumination set to IR + QMC (Still Image), and an attempt using Blender's Cycles (more of the look I'm going for in terms of subtle shading and overall realism).

So is there a way to get C4D to more closely approximate the Blender look without an external renderer? That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help, by the by.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c4d_windowLight.jpg (59.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg blender_windowLight.jpg (84.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by ProfessorHaddock : 02 February 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Originally Posted by ProfessorHaddock: Hey Chritter,

Here's an attempt using C4D 11.5's global illumination set to IR + QMC (Still Image), and an attempt using Blender's Cycles (more of the look I'm going for in terms of subtle shading and overall realism).

So is there a way to get C4D to more closely approximate the Blender look without an external renderer? That's what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help, by the by.

Turn down your interpolation values and fire more samples. The reason you get those fine contact shadows is because Cycles doesn't approximate the indirect light solution, which is what you did in the C4D render. (to a fairly extreme degree, I might add).

This will take longer to render, of course. The reason for interpolating GI in the first place is because solving it for every pixel takes awhile. (note the grain in the Cycles render).

Another trick you could try is adding an AO pass and multiplying that over the original render. You're essentially using one lighting hack to fix another, but if it works, who cares?

Old 02 February 2013   #5
To be clear, I know how to refine the Blender image, what I'm looking for / was looking for, was a way to get the Cinema 4D render (using just the advanced renderer) to better approximate the Cycles unbiased look. Thanks for the advice, though.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Originally Posted by ProfessorHaddock: To be clear, I know how to refine the Blender image, what I'm looking for / was looking for, was a way to get the Cinema 4D render (using just the advanced renderer) to better approximate the Cycles unbiased look. Thanks for the advice, though.

That was exactly what jtheninje told you

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Aha, gotcha. I misread it, there.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread