BrioBriss

portfolio
Olivier Brisson
3D animation
Cégep du Vieux Montréal
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via AIM to BrioBriss Send a message via MSN to BrioBriss
BootCamp Freeze when trying to enter with Quadro 4000 For Mac + GeForce GT 120

At first I thought my new Quadro 4000 For Mac made the computer freeze when I tryed to enter BootCamp (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1535810). But I was wrong. The real problem is that BootCamp freeze when I have 2 Graphic Cards installed at the same time (in my case it's the Quadro 4000 For Mac and the GeForce GT 120).

I red a couple of topics about it but non of those seems to solve the problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1178714 (Most topics are about using dual Quadro 4000 for Mac, in my case, it's using 2 graphic Cards, as listed before).

I actually booted in BootCamp with the Quadro 4000 For Mac and installed the most recent drivers on the Windows 7 side, then everything worked perfectly. I thought everything will works, so I reinstalled the GeForce GT 120, and tried to boot on the Windows side, but it freezed at the moment I pressed the Enter buton to enter in Windows. On the Mac side, everything works smooth with both graphic cards, it's only when trying to enter in the Windows side that it freeze.

Anyone have an idea of what's the problem here?

Btw here's some specs: Mac 4.1 - OS X 10.6.8 - Windows 7 - BootCamp 3.3 - Lastest Quadro drivers installed on the Mac and Windows side + CUDA drivers installed on the Mac side.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

EDIT

See my response to your other thread.

Last edited by AJ1 : 02-09-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
BrioBriss

portfolio
Olivier Brisson
3D animation
Cégep du Vieux Montréal
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via AIM to BrioBriss Send a message via MSN to BrioBriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
EDIT

See my response to your other thread.

Ahah, yea. Sadly your link doesn't explain that issue tho

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
tswalk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

bootcamp is just a boot manager like lilo or grub... if you followed Apples directions for it, theirs probably more of a problem with your windows installation.

perhaps removing it and starting over.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

ya, it's not the Mac that's the problem here – it's Windows. Those cards have a dual EFI/BIOS but, other than that, there's nothing Mac-specific about them. The problem is likely that you need one driver for the gaming card (Geforce) and another for the Quadro in Windows, where support is built into OS X for both to coexist.

But the GeForce GT 120 is so old that I wouldn't even bother trying to do a dual card scenario. The GT 120 is crap for GPGPU tasks.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
ya, it's not the Mac that's the problem here – it's Windows. Those cards have a dual EFI/BIOS but, other than that, there's nothing Mac-specific about them. The problem is likely that you need one driver for the gaming card (Geforce) and another for the Quadro in Windows, where support is built into OS X for both to coexist.

But the GeForce GT 120 is so old that I wouldn't even bother trying to do a dual card scenario. The GT 120 is crap for GPGPU tasks.

I know your trying to help, but please don't offer advice that would mislead our friend. From his other post, its clear he needs to do some reading about basic hardware and software concepts. We've already advised that he send back the 4000, and learn to work with what he has before upgrading.

-AJ

Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

well, the GT120 is a shit card for Maya and other 3D apps so you're not doing him any favours by getting him to settle for an old and unsupported card. It will have more bugs with 3D apps. Yes, the 4000 is more than he needs – if he was running a more modern card as an alternative, I'd agree that sending the Quadro 4000 back is a good idea. But he's not.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
well, the GT120 is a shit card for Maya and other 3D apps so you're not doing him any favours by getting him to settle for an old and unsupported card. It will have more bugs with 3D apps. Yes, the 4000 is more than he needs – if he was running a more modern card as an alternative, I'd agree that sending the Quadro 4000 back is a good idea. But he's not.

I used to use a Mac with Maya that had a GT120 in it. It worked fine.

Up until a few days ago, our friend did not even know what a CPU and a GPU were. I sent him a link to read, and he has been looking some things up on his own. Hopefully with his new found knowledge of hardware, he can make better upgrade decisions in the future.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Why run dual card with a 120 and a 4000 at the same time anyway? There's hardly any point, unless you're running triple monitors or some odd configurations, and even then, I probably wouldn't recommend coupling such different cards to begin with.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

well, OS X is quite good at mixing 3D cards – even AMD and Nvidia cards in one machine – because it uses a single OpenGL implementation that AMD and Nvidia plug into. It's not as good for speed as a ground-up implementation like Linux/Windows AMD/Nvidia drivers but it's more stable for stuff like that. I'm not surprised he's having problems in Windows though – the Quadro and Geforce require two entirely different Windows drivers which are probably butting heads.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

I'm not debating it's possible, I have had mixed brand and mixed drivers videocards before, it was perfectly possible all the way back to windows NT 4.0 (where I had a GMX for one monitor and other cards for another), and it still is (I've personally seen a setup using a 2xSLI on one large data monitor, and another card on another set of two in win7). I'm more debating whether there's even a point to it when you talk about a gt120

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #12
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

ya, that things getting you nothing, unless you really need the extra screen. I find 3 screens more trouble than they're worth but I can see how it would be useful for video editors.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread