CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: Animation
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
theosxgeek22
portfolio
USA

3D Hallway Flood

I started a project in September 2012 when I got Realflow 2012 for 3DS Max. After toying around with it a bit I decided I wanted to start an actual project. I had been watching some videos on YouTube of some Realflow simulations, and one that sparked my interest was a hallway being flooded Titanic style. This intrigued me, and I decided I wanted to try it for myself. I spent around two months (on and off) modeling the hallway, and stuff to go in it, applying materials, lighting, etc.

This was one of my earlier renders.

Here is the simulation

I spent probably the majority of time on this project so far in Realflow. For not really having a lot of prior experience in the program, I basically stumbled my way through everything, but I've been making progress. I originally ran the whole simulation with between 2-4 million particles, but when I went to start meshing, there wasn't enough detail for what I wanted, so I ran the simulation again. This time, with around 8 million particles. That occupied most of the month of December, as I ran it off and on (all I had to simulate was my main school computer). All in all the 1400 frame simulation took ~200 hours to complete. I have begun the meshing process, but I'm only about 400 frames in. So far it's taking around an hour per frame, so I've got a bit of time before it's done. I have built a dedicated desktop for this, so I can speed up the process a bit.

About a week ago I decided to take a break from the meshing, and play with the render settings and materials for a bit.

This is without any materials just kind of working on lighting, render settings, etc.

Once again, working on some of the advanced settings in Vray

I had a lot of problems with noise on the walls. That stemmed from the fact they were semi-reflective. I decided to turn off all reflections on them to speed up render time and to get rid of that noise (although I'm sure there were plenty of ways to fix it)

And then this is the most recent render I have. I still want to play around with the material on the floor boards a bit, because I don't like the way they look, but overall I'm pretty happy with the result.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread