Making wheat field

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
How to make a wheat field

Hi,
I am working on a personal project in which i want to make a wheat ground and a camera is moving under the wheat grass.
The problem is i can't figure out what technique to use for making wheat field-grass and that which can be easy animated

My camera position is same as in the image below and is moving forward in grass.

here is some refs what i am after

Thanks
-dushyant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RefforQues.jpg (57.5 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Dirtvic : 02 February 2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: changed the title

02 February 2013
You could do this with PaintFX, depending on how complex your wheat plants are. Instancing is another possibility. Have you read the great big Forest thread over in the Maya Rendering forums? Lots of information there, which can help with all kinds of plants.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

02 February 2013
Paint effects brush, use the wheat preset (or similar), draw a patch, convert it to polys, instance it around. Animate the paint effects.

02 February 2013
Hi
i am made the grass on the ground using crop grass Paintfx convert it to polygon
and scatter it with using polyscatter plugin on creativeCrash and geometry paint script but the problem is

First, i want to create mentalray proxies of the grass using Geometry - mip_binaryproxy but its not showing in my hypershade mental ray> geometry >materials I am using Maya (2011 and 2013 both not visible in anyone of them)

Second, is there any more solution for animating paint-fx using hair or softbody?
I read some of the old threads using hair curve for animating paint-fx but i don't know how to do this.

Thanks
-dushyant

03 March 2013
Need Help

Hello Everyone

As above reply i didn't get the Effect and look and feel which I want don't know which is more suitable method using paintfx or any other for Animation

Here is the Video Reference what i am going for
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-yt...eature=youtu.be
See [11 sec to 22 sec] Cam going under the the grass and the movement of tall grass.

Thanks in Advance.
-dushyant

03 March 2013
Well that looks like a corn field, not a wheat field! But even so, I think you can pull this off fairly well with PFX. You won't be able to proxy them this way though, well... Not that I'm aware of. If you want to use the PFX-stroke based wind effect, anyway. I'll try to test it tonight and see how that works.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

03 March 2013
make small portion of the field (for ie 2x2m) as a paintFX stroke (fieldgrass type), turn on grassWind turbulence in PaintFx attributes under Forces

convert PaintFX>polygons

assing shader to the new mesh (default is phong with raytraced reflections, I usually switch to mia_shaders with just highlight mode and translucency/ thin wall mode on for nice leaf lighting fx)

use DuplicateSpecial and turn on instance mode

move the new mesh to form the field and use DuplicateSpecial again and again till you have desired area filled with grass.

Also use rotate and scale to break the uniformity. You can also make several master meshes (usualy 3 versions are enough) and slightly change theirt paintFx settings so they arent the same.

Whats best about this technique...its still live and conneced to PaintFX strokes so you can change for ie their animation anytime!! Also beacuase of instancing its really low weight in data! The smaller the paintFx stroke is (area of the grass) the smaller the data are...

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Well that looks like a corn field, not a wheat field! But even so, I think you can pull this off fairly well with PFX. You won't be able to proxy them this way though, well... Not that I'm aware of. If you want to use the PFX-stroke based wind effect, anyway. I'll try to test it tonight and see how that works.

Hi InfernalDarkness.
Yes I am using the paintFx and using a technique i read here in an old thread Like I was using paintFx>Create modifier and connect the cam as 'child' but when i am trying to animate the modifier through grass its not giving appropriate effect.

Could you eleborate more about PFX-stroke based wind effect where are these settings O.O?

Thanks
dushyant

Last edited by Dirtvic : 03 March 2013 at 12:55 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Libor: make small portion of the field (for ie 2x2m) as a paintFX stroke (fieldgrass type), turn on grassWind turbulence in PaintFx attributes under Forces

convert PaintFX>polygons

assing shader to the new mesh (default is phong with raytraced reflections, I usually switch to mia_shaders with just highlight mode and translucency/ thin wall mode on for nice leaf lighting fx)

use DuplicateSpecial and turn on instance mode

move the new mesh to form the field and use DuplicateSpecial again and again till you have desired area filled with grass.

Also use rotate and scale to break the uniformity. You can also make several master meshes (usualy 3 versions are enough) and slightly change theirt paintFx settings so they arent the same.

Whats best about this technique...its still live and conneced to PaintFX strokes so you can change for ie their animation anytime!! Also beacuase of instancing its really low weight in data! The smaller the paintFx stroke is (area of the grass) the smaller the data are...

Hi Libor,

Thanks for the Explanation and info.
the problem coming with the Animation Can't dig the animation part. I have tried all the settings in 'Behavior' .

03 March 2013
Field Animation Try_Need Help

Hello everyone,
Here is what i have done as a try using Paintfx>Create Modifier.

I have created modifier for every stroke and then animate them under grass using force.
I didn't do the camera shake yet This is just a test for grass animation.

here what comes out:
before watching change quality to 480P.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alUY...eature=youtu.be
__________________________________________________ ________
I have also tried it with another method using ncloth as grass and an animated cylinder going through grass as passive collider but instance geometry didn't work with ncloth.O.O? and the grass mesh(ncloth) is stretching very badly.

Help needed.

Thanks
dushyant

03 March 2013
I've attached a simple scene with a quick corn field and camera dolly. It takes a little playing with the position, scale and push intensity on the modifier to get the best effect. A small amount of displacement on the line modifier was also useful. Also I increased the segments on the corn a little.

03 March 2013
Also... the pfx modifier technique won't work if you used instanced geometry, as described by Libor. You could make the path the camera moves down all one stroke, then add the rest of the elements( that don't need to interact with the camera ) using instancing.

Also here is a workflow for using a hair system for a more fully dynamic corn field:
1 select ground mesh
2 Hair: Create Hair (output = pfx)
3.On Hair system:
hairs per clump = 1, clump width = 0
stiffness = 0.5 (or bend resistance if using nucleus solver)
turbulence = 0.01
turbulence speed = 0.1

3.Select brush preset cornThin.mel
4.Select hair and do hair: assign pfx brush to hair
5.Edit brush cornThin1:
tubesPerStep 0
startTubes 1
tubeDirection alongPath
lengthMin / Max 2, 2
pathFollow = 1
lengthFlex = 0.5

The hairs in the hair system are like path curves for strokes, so one emits the tube at the start of the stroke and uses path follow. LengthFlex allows it to stretch a bit with the paths. The segments on the hair should match the segments on the hairs (one can use subsegments on the hair system to adjust them ) and the global scale on the brush should roughly match the length of the stalks with the hair lengths.

One can then apply forces to and have objects collide with the hair system.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Duncan: Also... the pfx modifier technique won't work if you used instanced geometry, as described by Libor. You could make the path the camera moves down all one stroke, then add the rest of the elements( that don't need to interact with the camera ) using instancing.

Also here is a workflow for using a hair system for a more fully dynamic corn field:
1 select ground mesh
2 Hair: Create Hair (output = pfx)
3.On Hair system:
hairs per clump = 1, clump width = 0
stiffness = 0.5 (or bend resistance if using nucleus solver)
turbulence = 0.01
turbulence speed = 0.1

3.Select brush preset cornThin.mel
4.Select hair and do hair: assign pfx brush to hair
5.Edit brush cornThin1:
tubesPerStep 0
startTubes 1
tubeDirection alongPath
lengthMin / Max 2, 2
pathFollow = 1
lengthFlex = 0.5

The hairs in the hair system are like path curves for strokes, so one emits the tube at the start of the stroke and uses path follow. LengthFlex allows it to stretch a bit with the paths. The segments on the hair should match the segments on the hairs (one can use subsegments on the hair system to adjust them ) and the global scale on the brush should roughly match the length of the stalks with the hair lengths.

One can then apply forces to and have objects collide with the hair system.

Hi sir,

Thanks for corndolly setup It looks so good I play around with the settings as u said and upload soon.

Here is an animation test using Hairsystem.

What i am doing wrong before when i didn't get my render in mental ray. I was making paintfx stroke and converting it into polygon before this 'Assign paintfx brush to hair'

here is link to video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93XP...eature=youtu.be

Just an Animation test didn't do any shading texturing yet.

I also changed some settings under Force of Hairsystem

Drag ,motion Drag and mass.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Best
-dushyant

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread