Emma Watson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Emma Watson

Hello guys, I am doing this piece as an approach to realistic face rendering. I know it is far from looking real so I need your help. Please suggest what can be done to make it look more real.

I have used maya for modelling, mudbox for sculpting and rendered using mental ray renderer.

Since applying a displacement map (rendered from mudbox) on the base mesh in maya resulted in a weird deformation of the face, I opted for the 'send to maya' option. This did make me work with a very high poly mesh but I knew no other option.

I tried putting different values in the alpha gain and alpha offset but none worked, even though .1 alpha gain and -.1 alpha offset were somewhat close to the mudbox mesh, but i discarded it. I would be glad if you could tell me how to apply displacement maps properly.

rendering her hair often gives me a fatal mental ray error, but not always. I have made it using maya hair.

I made the skin texture using misss fast skin. Please suggest some ways to make it look more real.

I want to know what more can be done in texturing to get that realistic feel. I made the cloth using the cloth 2D texture and added some incandescence with noise mapping.

Overall, my modelling is also not perfect. So I am kind of desperate for your critique. Please do not hesitate to comment. Thank you.

02 February 2013
I worked on a lot of the digital doubles in the last two Harry Potter films, including Hermione, so perhaps I can be of assistance ;-)

For a start, your model needs a lot of work. I really can't stress this enough, but you really, really shouldn't spend time texturing, shading and lighting models until the model is well and truly finished, and in your case, you have a lot of serious anatomical problems. You really need to address problems like the neck (which is totally anatomically incorrect, it looks like a cartoon neck), the apparently proportionally tiny body, small shoulders and the face which, while it does bear a slight resemblance to the actress, is nevertheless very generic in terms of basic structure and doesn't look fleshy. You really need to study references of the actress much closer. Compare your model's head to that of the actress and you should see where it needs to be adjusted, and where tweaks need to be made to soften the structure and make it look more natural, like the mouth.

You need to spend a lot more time fixing this model before you worry about the textures and stuff. I think the first thing you need to do is find a lot of high res images of the actress, line them up with your model in the viewport and start making adjustments based on that. Post your progress.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread