Jackie Chan progress

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Talking Jackie Chan progress

hi all, i am so happy to post here after have been lurked around for several years looking at great artwork by great artist and i hope to get feedback for my works. this is one of my working progress for forum challenge.
thanks

02 February 2013
Well, some information on how you created it might help

02 February 2013
I use ZBrush to create a basic model without symmetry, I try to use lightcap to add light effects after the main lights even though this use is still limited to attempt dramatize from image. I still imagine will add tight clothing like in the movies CZ12 and a small dragon on his shoulder. I wanted to ask if there is flaws in this phase prior to the next stage ..

02 February 2013
The lighting is too frontal, so it's hard to judge the form. But I think it goes well!

02 February 2013
Mister3d: how about this one?but still plenty needs to be fixed

02 February 2013
I really suck at anatomy, and can't tell you anything about it (except maybe, that the hands are strange).
but you should reaaaaallly desaturate that skin color... it's so burning, that it hurts eyes.

Keep us posted.

02 February 2013
d4rk3lf: skin color desaturate, fix hand.. what do you think sir

Last edited by chanf : 02 February 2013 at 08:36 AM.

02 February 2013
Cool.
Now, make some lighting, like Mister3D advised you.
Right now, it's too frontal. You need your light to define a form (shape) of your character, not just place it in from of him.

Here's some pictures by Lee Perry Smith, to get you idea:

I am still not sure about anatomy. Maybe someone will bring some points on that field.

02 February 2013
d4rk3lf: awesome reference Sir, thanks. i changed the skin tone and texture and put eyebrows on him.. maybe looks better now..

02 February 2013
fix body and hand anatomy.. and eyebrows, still thinking how to make it better..

02 February 2013
I am stil not seeing any shadows, it's too much uniform lit.
Try to place main light with area shadows somewhere above his left hand (and little behind), so you get shape of the character more defined, and also from (our) left (his right) make some blue light (behind him)

It happens that today I had to light some character for preview purpose, and you can see that I used basically just 2 lights (with ambient light).
One (main light) is in front (and above) of him.. the other (backlight) is from (our left) and a little behind him.
http://s12.postimage.org/lel84kzm4/Hi_Polygon_Male.jpg
(credits for modeling, and texturing goes to Predrag Krišan)

Not that this is perfect lighting, or anything.
It's pretty basic, but you should get the idea.

02 February 2013
I've rendered you several shots quickly, so you understand what is the principle, that I am talking about:

Main light:

Back light:

Ambient light:

All 3 lights together:

Viewport screenshots (so you can see where lights are):

02 February 2013
d4rk3lf: did you use IBL/HDRI Sir?, is weird i couldn't lit my light like that, i am using maya/mentalray.. if i take out the HDRI there are dark on the body.. i am still trying to use better light setting..
here is my setting and the result..

02 February 2013
I am not Sir. Haven't kill the dragon yet, and don't deserve that title.
-------------------

Still not good.
Do you have shadows on?

Let's try this way. Turn off everything (HDRI, global lighting, back lighting), except that main light from (our) right side (left side of the character). It doesn't matter if it does not look good, I just want to see some shadows.
And share a render here.

Oh.. and make some dark background. not maybe totaly black... some blue-black gradient would be Ok.

By the way, I am using 3DS Max and Vray... but that's not matter, you can achieve good lighting in any render. And I didn't used any HDRI.

Last edited by d4rk3lf : 02 February 2013 at 11:01 AM.

02 February 2013
d4rk3lf: so what should i call you Mr. Dark elf? still couldn't change the light but put some blackbody/Mentalray into light and camera lense, photometric lenses and DOF, fix some body anatomy (chest, deltoid, bicep, finger and hand) what do you think now.. sorry i didn't change the background.. but i'll make it with scene later on, thanks

Thread Closed share thread