Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Group Selection Problem

I have a very simple PFlow setup where I have created a camera culling object and attached it to the animated camera.

In PV, I have setup the Group Selection op to use the camera culling object. A Split Group op then send the selected particles to a different event where the particles change color.

All works fabulously... except that it only selects the proper particles on frame0. When I move to frame1, it does not select the particles within the culling object.

I have tried every combination of settings within the Group Selection op to get it to update and always do the selection right.

I can't get PFlow to update and select the proper particles. See attached images which show the proper desired effect on frame0 and then the incorrect selection on frame1.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group_selection_problem_01_smaller.jpg (91.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg group_selection_problem_02_smaller.jpg (92.7 KB, 5 views)

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
3ak
Know-it-All

Change selection update in Group Selection to Continuous.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Thanks very much for the ideas.

I have already tried that setting many times. As well as 'Animated Shape' and others. I have tried 'Sycronize Layers', etc. to try and reset PFlow to no avail.

The problem is that the camera culling cone should be filled with pink ticks only and the area outside the cone should be filled with yellow ticks (the screengrab that shows correctly is at frame0... the screengrab that shows incorrectly is at frame1 and all other frames look wacked too). As the incorrect screengrab shows, when I move through the frames, the culling is sloppy and you get remnants of culling that happened on previous frames but not the precise yellow outside/pink inside that I would want.

My scene scale is very large but I work on projects of this scale all the time, so it should work and I don't think this is the problem.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
3ak
Know-it-All

It's because you filtered out grouped particles to downstream events and they never again have chance to be evaluated by group selection op.
Make loop in flow:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46208032/3...%28pflow%29.max

I used Age test to send particles back after 1 frame. So it may lead to some particles being sliiiiightly outside cone object (but only if your camera are moving quickly).

Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Thanks very much for this!

Obviously, I misunderstood the need for a loop so that particles are available to be re-evaluated on each new frame.

The goal is not to make some particles red... the goal is to hide some particles so they are not considered by Afterburn for rendering. I was thinking to use the Delete op to delete the particles. But if they are deleted, they wont be avaible to be re-evaluated on the next frame.

How do you setup to make the particles disappear on one frame, yet be available to be re-evaluated on the next frame?

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Nevermind... just turning OFF the Display operator hides the particles for the current frame, yet they are still available for re-evaluation.

Thanks again!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSilence
With the PFlow freebies there is a camera culling operator for shapes to keep the memory consumption at bay. Do you have those?

http://www.orbaz.com/download/

Kind regards,
Anselm

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Anselm,

Thanks very much for the ideas.

I do have the freebie camera culling op. I tried using it but got very weird results. For example, if the camera was pointing towards the northeast... particles would be culled in the shape of the camera cone but as if the camera was pointing in a different direction. Don't know if my large scene scale was messing with things or what.

In any event, I found using the Group Selection>Object method more reliable and it lets me control the culling object even better.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

Try a Send Out test for your loop, you should get reduced lag. I am not sure if it sends them out immediately or on the next integration step.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread