[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Android Platform - FPS Project

Hi all:

Altho I've been using Blender's 2.4xx & 2.5xx versions off n on for a few years I have limited skill in the DCC pipe but getting my hands dirty with different techs helps:

Since this project is aimed at Android 4.x Tegra3 platforms I think quad count will be a main consideration anyways my first effort is the main object a US MBT Abrams M1A1 - I tried to reduce polys to 9600k face count:

Also I tried to retain some LOD for close up ingame play rather than rely on normals which are fine at distance the screens are untextured meshes in solid, wireframe plus render:

I've had advice on other forums to texture details eg: mesh susets such as light clusters, road wheels, hatches etc first anyways advice, crits are most welcome - I'll update this thread as I progress:

Military FPS Game for Android 4.x Tegra3 Platforms Downloads:

Art Pipeline
Blender 2.69 [64bit] > Photoshop CS6 > Unity 3D

Tracked Vehicle Assets
Abrams M1A1 Base Mesh .blend:
Here

Character Weapon Assets
M4 Colt Carbine Base Mesh .blend:
Here
M4 Colt Carbine Test Normal .blend: Here

Cheers Ian :))

Last edited by sacboi : 05-04-2014 at 01:56 AM.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi guys:

I currently use Blender's 2.56a version to for this project and While UV mapping the model I noticed the tracks had re-aligned themselves along the Bezier curves perpendicular to the Z & Y axis which I had not noticed before when I first modeled the mesh some weeks back hmmm.. weird!

screens:

I recall modifying the Array modifier when creating the tracks following a tute by @Greg Zaal - of theblendernerd.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYPJmYx-MM8

This may account for the mesh displacement, notice the pivot points are offset by 3.5bender units from the main geometry on the Y axis:

hmmm... I may have to resolve this problem by remodeling the tracks will post an update ASAP!

Cheers:

Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi guys:

Just a quick update - Here are some screens of renders using one of @Ira Krakow's Blender "Guru" excellent tutorials on Ambient Occlusion - amazing FXs! that can achieved other than rough basic renders as a novice I've created up till now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKUAemD7oo4

The screens are rendered using default settings - with one change in the world panel when Ambient Occlusion checked I increased Samples: to 15:

Added plane to allow shadow cast:

Point lamp:

Hemi lamp:

AO:

any feedback most welcome.

Cheers:))

Last edited by sacboi : 01-31-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Add text

Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi guys:

As this project progresses it brings into sharp focus how challenging DCC workflow can become in resolving issues in design, modeling, texturing etc - as an example: parts of the model are non-manifold as the screen below illustrates:

and as a consequence cannot be textured - however a search hit this tutorial "Fixing a non-manifold mesh" by @DJ Barney:
http://stargate.djbarney.org/node/79

for the Blender 2.5a beta interface is just what the "doctor ordered" that is if nothing else crops up - that said learning different techs, workarounds and/or tips gaining experience that I hope will translate to publishing work that will reflect that - anyways will update further and if anyone has a different method or workaround please post a reply - thankyou.

Last edited by sacboi : 02-01-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi guys:

I recieved sound advice to restore the download link allowing interested user's to experiement and maybe provide help to problems when they occur - as a self taught artist/painter in oils, pastel & mixed media I had always striven to show my best work [force of habit] which kind've carried over to the CG Art discipline:

I was also peeed off with the modeling errors! - should've taken my own advice Ref: previous post doh... download link in starter post is live:

Anyways after a few days testing I finally resolved the mesh issues outlined in earlier posts:

Firstly the non-manifold mesh as described & resolved in this tutorial by another blender user:
http://blenderunderground.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3431

In this case however I think the problem was the version 2.56a I deployed was 32bit and the system I'm using to develop this project is x64:

A custom build I completed in Sep last year: [WIN 7 Home Premium - Intel core i5 3570 CPU - AMD 7800 GPU - 16GB RAM] image displays the manifold mesh with each individual blue line pointing in the correct direction:

When migrating files across I forgot to update blender - now running 2.59 x64 a more stable version with less lag hmmm... might troubleshoot that at a later date:

Anyways the second problem was the weird track displacment in edit mode [ 2 days to solve!] simply select both track mesh and bezier curve in Object mode then tab to edit - as image illustrates:

I decided to add more detail to the model which was too generic - mods include ammo boxs, jerry cans, gunner's MG & assorted nic nac's etc. I tried to present a "veteran battle wary" look to the tank screen shots:

Anyways all content created during the course of this project is made available to the community for commercial and/or personal use - hopefully I'll be be adding other game assets eg: characters, vehicles, environments as I learn and gain experience in CG art and DCC methodologies

Cheers :))

Last edited by sacboi : 02-08-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi guys:

A quick update - finishing final touches to the mesh, been playing with the Bevel modifier: [settings between 0.0030 to 0.0380 width]

As this object has many hard surfaces I thought beveling the edges would, add a sense of realism to the tank's overall "coolness" factor for the player in terms of the look of its steel exterior ingame or badass heavy metal made in the USA rep:

Bevel mod tute link:
http://www.blendernerd.com/tip-bevel-modifier/

Closeup screens hard surface beveling:

My previous work had never progressed beyond unwrapping so textures is breaking new ground for me - I've updated the .blend file check it out:

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi guys:

Thought to give you some background in reference to this project - when I intitially decided to develop this game to completion I kind've jumped in head first with the realization that this will take a 'bloody long time' to finish & I think push the engine parametres to the max:

ShiVa 3D free PLE version: [will purchase the basic licence when funds become available]
http://www.stonetrip.com/download.html

and also basically this is my art pipline:

Blender > Gimp 2.8 > UU3D [Utimate Unwrap 3D] > ShiVa 3D [game engine]

This game fingers crossed will eventually ship to the Android app store specifically targeting Google's Nexus 7 [ASUS] tablet with Nvidia's Tegra3 - 4 core chip which in my opinion has the necessary grunt todo the heavy lifting:

Game Premis:

My reasoning for throwing as much detail at the tank that can hopefully stick is first hand knowlege and the target audience - I'm ex military having served with the 2nd Cavalry Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment "2 Cav" during the eighties & early nineties in the Australian Army as a MRV [Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle] Crew Commander M1113A1 "Scorpian" turret variant & Assault Trooper [glorified Infantryman eg: "Vegie"] here are some screen shots of a B Squadron vehicle: [Tamiya plastic model]

I served with A Squadron 1 troop - tactical vehicle markings are read [left to right]:

a) The 2 denotes squadron ie: B

b) The 3 - denotes troop ie: three troop [six troops per "Sabre" or combat squadron totaling 60+ vehicles plus approx 160 personnel]

c) The Upside down triangle "tac sign" ie: unit ID tactical symbol ie: armoured recon

d) The A - denotes command appointment ie: troop leader [1st or 2nd Lieutenant]

An example how this "callsign" is transmitted over either the Regimental or Squadron radio nets, transcript as follows:

Troop to Command "Zero Alpha this two three Alpha sitrep over"

Command "Send over"

Troop to Command "At 22 hundred hours helo resupply forward one enemy captured to Regiment.....more to follow over"

Command "Send over"
and so on

Note the equipment stowage rear of turret & the cut to length tree saplings which are used to deploy the vehicle camoflage netting when on exercise and/or operations from this experience in AFV prep for going "bushbashing" I've tried to instill some of it in my modeling of the Abrams:

Game Genre/Storyline/Play:

Ever since Apple opened its app store in 2007/8 allowing indie developers to port their creations I've wanted to enter the casual mobile gaming space - now time & circumstance has enabled me to do so:

The game is tentatively based around an armoured formation gone "rogue" or offline - set in the near future where world affairs are governed by vested Military/Industrial entities/conglomerates and the democratic rule of law has ceased to exist:
This cadre of battle hardened soldiers disenchanted with the MI Consortium their ruthless methods & barbarity to subdue entire poplances - try to return home to family and loved ones - all the while in combat against the odds:

This link displays the US Army's 3rd ID "thunder run" into Bagdad 2003 - & others illustrate the "immersive" factor I'm trying to create for this project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQxR1FXta8

Abrams main armament firing service ordinance Iraq:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=putRj-2hP2Q

Abrams startup - the turbine sounds off tha chain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZfVP19mDm4

I have handled similar light to heavy cal weapons that will be ingame, the sound n 'feel' I hope to create will retain players which is the primary focus not downloads. Today's mobile gamer demand quality in performance, graphics, & I think immersive gameplay which I'm working towards - it is a single player first/third person shooter in both dismounted & vehicle mode on one level with 10 missions:

The first published iteration will be a Free or lite Premium version [no in-app purchases or micro-transactions] the second will be a paid full version with again no mirco or inapp purchases:

Whew...! yeah! a horrendous amount of work I've set myself but as a first time effort in my opinion passion counts for 40% the rest shear persistance anyways thats it for now will update soonest:

P.S [sorry for the long post if you managed to get this far & well done]

Last edited by sacboi : 02-20-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
VoltStorm7
Progressing Artist/Aminat

portfolio
Stafford Ahartz
Japan

I'm surprised nobody has said something about this. Your modeling skill is fantastic. Very detailed job on the models. Can't wait for the release of your game.

Will there be a I-Phone version as well?

http://maelstorm7.deviantart.com/

Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi VoltStorm7:

Thanks for your reply - if you're refering to my previous post ie: screen shots of the M113A1 MRV [tamiya plasic model kit] sadly that is NOT my work [Altho the modeler displays awsome skill of the craft]

link reference:
http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/gallery/M113/Austm113gallery.htm

The screen shots were used as a visual reference to illustrate the vehicle type I had commanded as a serving soldier in that particular amoured unit of the Australian Army and the level of detail I hope to achieve for this game:

The .blend file & associated images of the Abrams M1A1 Tank ARE solely my own creation:

As a solo developer this is my first entry into the mobile gaming space - so as a consequence many months of development lie ahead release is tentatively scheduled for mid/end 2014 date:

Iphone release hopefully the following year - currently the reason I chose a Android tablet device as the target platform is basically simple economics & processing power:

CPU spec:

Iphone 5 [A6 Dual core 1.3 GHz CPU]

Nexus 7 tablet [up to 1.7GHz single core & 1.6GHz quad core Nvidia Tegra3 CPU]

I've purchased the Nexus 7 tab for $280AUD for app testing/prototyping:

To develop for IOS you would need at minimum a second hand Iphone 1 $300AUD + mac laptop running lion OS10 $700AUD to develop & port app to IOS store, anyways thanks again if your're running a Blender 2.5 GFX package or above check out the download file in the starter post:

Last edited by sacboi : 02-14-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi all:

Its been a few months since my last post/update, long story short had a severe illness fortunately now in full remission so as a consequence I'm well enough to continue where I"d left off.

To recap I was in the process of texturing the tank model whilst learning various techs on how to texture hardsurface objects and finding which method suited my workflow/DCC pipeline.

Hi-Poly Mesh:

Low-Poly Mesh:

The hi-rez mesh was a challenge in terms of reducing the face count of 23305 tri"s to 9733 tri's for the low-rez game object. hmmm.... not sure whether this solution will be usable when I begin prototyping BTW I've switched engines to Unity 3D after evaluating its pros & the cons which in my opinion were not many all except the licence fees - as a solo dev they"re eye wateringly steep at US$3000 for both Unity-pro & android-pro inclusive.

But as luck would have it Unity are running a yearly subscription offer this July at US$150 per month for both packages which I MOST definitely could live with, anyways will have some form of playable demo hopefully up next month using Unity's Flash Player.

Content links are provided in the starter post, I'll have an update for both texture & rigged versions next week.

Cheers :))

Last edited by sacboi : 07-16-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Guys:

Quick update:

I've been busy with work [day job] - hey I've got to fund this project some how right! LOL... also caught a bug [the flu] its mid winter here in Melbourne Australia - we've been hit with single digit temps forthe last few weeks - somehow dos'nt equate, in terms of where I live on the driest island continent on earth where temps in summer can reach or exceed [55 degree's C] in some regions REGULARLY - go figure....

Anyways back on topic:

I've underestimated the timline as stated in my previous post - my bad!!... made a start on where and how to texture the model by applying materials and splitting meshes, adding detail to the hi-res mesh etc: as displyed by the following screen shots.

BTW also finished detailing the tracks kind've blew out the face count to 108033 tri's but together with projectile/fragment strike, hull scouring [exterior main armament hits] plus minor battle damage the model will look "kick ass" once normals are applied.

To rotate the tracks forward or backwards Select either track in Object Mode only will not work in Edit Mode [mesh will separate and align along the Y axis] then grab the manipulator's Y axis "green arrow" as shown.

Since this game will be a tactical shooter developed for Android devices specifically the Nexus 7 tablet Tegra quad and Samsung Galaxy s2 Dual I had purchased for game testing/deployment - my focus at this stage is hi LOD when the asset is being controlled by the player in game... if that makes sense.

Hopefully I"ll complete the textures in the next few days [fingers x'ed] plus animating the model.

Edit: Download link for this version has been added.

Cheers ;))

Last edited by sacboi : 08-31-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Dalmo
3D Mechanic

portfolio
Dale Almonrode
East Jordan, USA

Send a message via MSN to Dalmo
Smile hard surface texturing

H, looks like you are off to a good start. 3d motive has a tutorial" hard surface vehicle texturing" where the instructor models a tank, and creates textures, normal, displacement maps. I think he uses 3ds max , but the concepts are the same , whatever 3d package you use! Should give you insight, to bring your project forward. Hope this Helps .Dj

Old 08-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Dalmo
3D Mechanic

portfolio
Dale Almonrode
East Jordan, USA

Send a message via MSN to Dalmo
Smile check out zbrush

I use z brush for most of my modeling, they have what is called an insert brush, with this it inserts objects on to your model, there is a tank tread insert that comes with the program, You can add great tracks in a couple minutes, and you can create your own insert brushes . Zbrush is a little hard to get your head wrapped around at first, But in my opinion is the best modeling tool out there. there are plenty of tutorials out there for it, Hope this helps

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Dalmo:

Thanks for the tips, looked at the first 2 tutorial chapters and yea!... just what I was after in terms of creating textures that have a "real world" fidelity which in my opinion is a necessary core mechanic for this game - a "CoD" like gameplay is the immersive factor which I'm working towards and hopefully pull off [everything X'ed] or near enough.

At this point will continue working with Blender, suits my workflow/art pipeline that said if time allows will evaluate Z-Brush - the user reviews I've read are mostly positive the majority also highlight the steep learning curve.

Cheers ;))

Last edited by sacboi : 08-19-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

Hi guys:

It has been some months since the previous update, I had concluded my current DCC/modelling technique needed much improvement if this project is to proceed further.

I consider myself a novice CG modeller with hind sight I was woefully underprepared to model any 3D digital content for my game whether static or dynamic therefore a basic understanding of 3D asset creation workflow is my focus for the near term.

So it was back to the drawing board [so to speak] to re-evaluate and acquire the necessary modelling [or try too] skill set to enable a "tactile" visual connect I hope to convey to the player when controlling specific hard surface or organic 3D objects in game.

To this end I continued researching any print/online CG resource I could lay my hands or mouse click on, collating CG tutorials, tips, and other relevant material kindly shared by various CG software users -

I had collected over the interim and previous years playing with Blender into something I could work with, hence the following mini DCC "post mortem" modelling exercise I had set for myself and what I have learned thus far.

Hard Surface Modelling:

During the course of this thread my efforts in modelling/reworking my version of the US Army's M1A1 Abrams MBT has been a frustrating challenge to translate the vision of the gorgeous hi-res UV mapped game asset of my "minds eye" into what was staring back at me from the computer monitor, aahhrrrgg... just didn't "look right" - the depth of detail I was aiming for was sadly lacking.

This is the most complex hard surface model I have attempted so I decided to step back for the moment and work on something less taxing on my ability and/or sanity [laughs], since this game will be a Tactical Military FPS the character animations will include a "Run n Gun" game play.

Implementing the US Army M4 Colt Carbine and/or M203 [grenade launcher] variant, the ubiquitous default personal weapon of choice for most military themed shooters.

A particular CG Artist I found very helpful is @Jonathan Williamson a regular contributor over @CG Cookie.com, an easy to follow real time 15 part video tutorial covering all aspects of modelling the M4 from the initial blocking of the individual weapon components through to adding the final details, Thanks Jonathan.

My WIP model test example of the M4 is a high poly mesh using mostly quads to fill - blender face count 302427, tris at 604854 created running Blender v 2.69 64bit, his tips in reference to enabling mesh shortcut commands together with the use of specific modifiers that create a visual fidelity I had previously tried to achieve

An eye opener to say the least, I would also tentatively suggest has refined my current workflow by 20 - 30%... simply amazing! [BTW all that said approx 50 - 60hrs work to achieve current object state].

Topology:

The emphasis on a "clean topology" straight edge loop face's in all views to mitigate mesh deformation or "pinching" at right angle edge junctures from blocking thru to adding detail as displayed in following screenshots which is particularly useful when UV mapping hi res detail to a lo-poly game model.

Blender Modifiers:

Application of the Shrink wrap modifier to "punch" holes thru the mesh when creating the perforated barrel jacket also an array to duplicate the complex geometry along an assigned axis.

The use of a Mirror modifier to model a symmetrical component ie: Main body, iron foresight etc

Also the application of the Sub Division Surface modifier in combination with the Shade Smooth mesh tool helpful in model definition or "real world silhouette".

Modelling:

Edge Loops to define detail where applicable combined with the Sub-Surf Modifier, helpful when adding small detailed components such as locking pins, trigger, and iron foresight post etc.

There are of course errors in terms of weird deformations and pinching due in part to incorrect edge loop placement and an over complex geometry:

however I'm satisfied with the result thus far:

I guess I've acquired a new found self confidence in pushing forward and tackling more complex models for inclusion as game assets, a link has been added with future updates to follow thankyou all have a safe and prosperous new year.

Cheers ;)

reply share thread