Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

8 K texture support

Wow, it's been 8 days since anyone posted here, and the last person was me.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put it out there that I think it's about time Mudbox offers us the option to create 8 K (or larger) textures.
Yes I know, "suggest a feature" and I shall, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any comments - agree, disagree, etc.
I'm guessing though that this feature has already been suggested numerous times.

Have you all moved on to Mari and ZBrush or something? Am I the only Mudboxer left?
Or is there just nothing to say about it anymore until the next version?

Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

Sp3 is supporting 8k maps via environment variable... take a look at the release notes...

Last edited by oglu : 01-27-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
Sp3 is supporting 8k maps via environmet variale... Take a look at the release notes...

Really? I have the release notes open right in front of me and I don't see anything about 8 K textures.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

Oh damn, I was looking at the wrong version release notes.

Yup...
Quote:
An environment variable MUDBOX_EXPOSE_8K exposes "8192" in the Create
New Paint Layer "Size" option. (It will not be exposed if less than 512 MB GPU
available. 1.5 GB or more recommended).

Sounds good! I have 4 GB of video RAM, so this isn't a problem.

Thanks again oglu!

Just tried it. Works perfectly.

Uhh, well....

EDIT 2:

If you have a model with 4K textures on it already and you create an 8K layer, do not attempt to "merge visible"...

Good thing I was only experimenting.
\
Edit 3:
Well I seem to be crashing Mudbox every time I try to "merge visible", even when the textures are the same resolution...
Not a problem at 4K or below, but if I have an 8K texture, it will crash every time I try to merge the layers... again, even if all the textures are 8K.

It's not like I don't have enough RAM either... Win 7 Ultimate x64 with 32 GB...

Last edited by twosheds : 01-28-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
robinb
Expert

I suggest reporting that as a bug.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how much vram it takes for an 8k texture. I've been working on a scene with one 2048 and one 1024 texture (each with a number of layers admittedly and using diffuse, spec and gloss maps) and that seems to have filled all of my 1.5gig card. Seems to use a lot for not all that much.

I thought it was meant to manage textures dynamically now. Is that what's happening when I zoom out and the eyes turn blue? Not very helpful. I'd have expected it to drop the res.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
I suggest reporting that as a bug.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how much vram it takes for an 8k texture. I've been working on a scene with one 2048 and one 1024 texture (each with a number of layers admittedly and using diffuse, spec and gloss maps) and that seems to have filled all of my 1.5gig card. Seems to use a lot for not all that much.

I thought it was meant to manage textures dynamically now. Is that what's happening when I zoom out and the eyes turn blue? Not very helpful. I'd have expected it to drop the res.

It's pretty heavy on the vram, yeah. I only do one thing at a time though, meaning I do my textures separately from my spec maps and so on, so that helps. But I was using a little over 3 GB's of vram for a figure with 3 UV tiles and 3 texture layers.

Yeah, it's that new gigatexel engine thingy that causes that blue stuff. But it also happens with unloaded UV tiles. I turned that off in the options though - too annoying and it's been unnecessary for my recent projects.

I have to say, painting in 8K is great. But it's overkill, really, and you can accomplish the same thing with 4K or less and well-planned UV mapping. I never need to render anywhere near that size, but I like it for being able to add more detail into some of my older models that have too little texture space devoted to parts that need more detail.

And yeah, I'll report the "merge visible" problem as a bug.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

I have to say though, painting in 8K is amazing. Even at 4K you still hit that pixel limit, and of course 8K has a limit as well, but it's much more difficult to reach the point of pixellation at 8K, even when painting really fine details. This is the closest digitally I've yet come to actually drawing on paper with pencils and pens.

And all I'm using is an EVGA GTX 680 with 4 GB of vram. It cost me 650 bucks, which isn't cheap, but on the other hand it's not a two thousand dollar Quadro that would be useless for gaming.

Big thanks again to Christoph for pointing out the 8K variable!

I had never set an environment variable before, and it doesn't tell you how to do it in the Mudbox help files so I had to look it up and figure it out, but it was easy and works great.

Last edited by twosheds : 02-02-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

is mud still crashing for you if you merge the paint layers..?
its working fine here with a geforce 560 and 1gb ram...

Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

Quote:
is mud still crashing for you if you merge the paint layers..?
its working fine here with a geforce 560 and 1gb ram...

I think it was just that particular project for whatever reason because I tried it this morning on a different project and it didn't crash.

I meant to mention that earlier but I forgot.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

it could be a problem if you have multiple objects with the same shader in mud...
mud is storing uv data also in the shader... this could cause problems...

Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

Quote:
it could be a problem if you have multiple objects with the same shader in mud...
mud is storing uv data also in the shader... this could cause problems...

I'll have to check it when I get a chance. Thanks for the info.

I finished that project. Mud was saving the file and the textures fine, so I just used Photoshop to merge my layers.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

if you voted here for the 8k support you could spend your votes now on other ideas...
http://mudboxfeedback.autodesk.com/...ure-map-support

Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

follow-up

Well it's nice to see that Mud 2014 has the 8K texture option built in instead of having to use an environment variable.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread