CG Economy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
CG Economy

Do CG artists starve? Seems to me there are so many out there that the competition worldwide must force wages down.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
There is also a growing industry for it as well, you might dig through this if you haven't yet: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=2&t=1085288

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Originally Posted by VisitorfromArea51: Do CG artists starve? Seems to me there are so many out there that the competition worldwide must force wages down.

No starving but in real terms wages have gone down and have been for a while.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Well then I would like to say that, there is plenty of work if you are good at comunicating and prices are great because you set them yourself and if you are good at comunicating you can always get what you want.
I have in my 2½ year of runnning a shop, never done marketing, never seeking clients and never had a clean table ( no work )
There is always work for those who want to work.
I dont see a problem actually.

But it totaly depends who YOU are, and how YOU deal with any specific situation. It is NOT straight forward and that is why some I think struggle.
It isn't easy for everyone as with not everyone can write their own tools or do other complicated tasks.

Living in a AAA rated country helps. Living in parts of the world where war and poverty is the official face does not help.
Local clients are important, thus Economic climate gets drawn into the picture.
If people have lots of money around you it is easier to get your word through as with anything.

I regulary get these asian shop mails, written horribly, almoste begging for work. I asume they want to be subcontracters. I dont care about their work quality, I hate their "!" and simlies and they will never get work through me because I am annoyed by their comunication efforts.
Pick up the phone, come to my office, lets meet for a lunch and im all ears. Then they will get a chance, just maybe, and it will totalt depend on the comunication mouth to ear, eyes to gesticulation and so forth. It wont work any other way around.

My relation to unskilled comunicators within the industry is precisly the same deal as any given shop has with a client.
So people need to skill up if they starve, its not the industrys fault, its their own, and if people can't see this they need to skillup to a point where they CAN see it, and hopefully for them self have the skills to take proper action to fix it.

Last edited by gkmotu : 01 January 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Originally Posted by gkmotu: ........So people need to skill up if they starve, its not the industrys fault, its their own, and if people can't see this they need to skillup to a point where they CAN see it, and hopefully for them self have the skills to take proper action to fix it.

That's kind of over-simplifying a very complex area. Applying that to studies, almost everyone I know is going for Masters in whatever they are studying. We all know a Masters should can open doors, but when everyone around you also has a Masters it is like everyone coming to the same watering hole.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
a master means nothing if you cant take it anywhere.
You arnt entitled to anything jsut because you ran through a course.
Thats how the real world is.

also my point isnt about technical relations regarding specialities that are concrete, its about getting what you want in any situation.
I hope that is clear now.

if 100 men stood in line with their masters and all theoretically on paper were eaqual, the one with the best comunication skills wins, as with anything in the world thats how it goes.
That is also why people with no masters can take people with masters jobs, because they know how to swing a motional impact, invoke relations at will, despite the theoretical blue stamp on the paper. IF we talk CG.
Not doctor, not lawyer, not anything that requres a certificate...

Last edited by gkmotu : 01 January 2013 at 04:56 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Although I have dreamt of becoming hobby surgeon. And no, im not Dahmer.
But id be quick to jump in and start cut if we came to war and no doctors was around.
100%

world needs less depressing thinking,
world needs more "I can do this",
Thanks!

Noone belives you if you dont belive yourself...

Last edited by gkmotu : 01 January 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
I know artists who are struggling, making minimum wage and I know artists who are makIng 6 figures. it depends on you're experience and skills yes, but even more important is your VALUE to the studio. If you're someone they need for a project or for a pipeline or whatever, you're gonna get paid. so I don't think you necessarily need to be the best in the world at a specific skill, you just have to be the best for the studio. And a lot of times thAt means more than having just one skill, like gkmotu said, it means communication, and bringing Value to the studio. There's tons of smaller studios around where this could happen. But it can also happen at th larger studios, for examPle back when this whole 3D craze was starting, the compositors with a lot of stereo experience were in super high demand and could get great rates.

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Personally being in the UK and wanting to get into the industry, I would like to know if there are any 3D jobs currently? as many have said that the past few months have been quiet in the UK. Have things improved?

In my opinion I believe that the people most in demand are artists with certain skills the industry currently lacks due to many artists prefering other roles or not enough people learning that particular skill such as riggers and FX artist- fluid sims, particles and etc. I also want to add, when shake was phased out there was a big demand for Nuke artists but not enough people had the skills up to the level of the shake users, until they were trained up and education switching. High demand skills often demand more money.

I also believe that having a good reel will open more opportunities and show your level of skills, being more employable and get more jobs. Also this builds up your reputation in the industry to lead to more jobs and reliabilty to ensure you stay with the company. The more experience the higher your earnings and the more sort after you are.

I'm no expert and I myself want to get into the indusrty but from my point of view, working in 3D is better than your average menial job.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by Darkherow: Personally being in the UK and wanting to get into the industry, I would like to know if there are any 3D jobs currently? as many have said that the past few months have been quiet in the UK. Have things improved?

In my opinion I believe that the people most in demand are artists with certain skills the industry currently lacks due to many artists prefering other roles or not enough people learning that particular skill such as riggers and FX artist- fluid sims, particles and etc. I also want to add, when shake was phased out there was a big demand for Nuke artists but not enough people had the skills up to the level of the shake users, until they were trained up and education switching. High demand skills often demand more money.

I also believe that having a good reel will open more opportunities and show your level of skills, being more employable and get more jobs. Also this builds up your reputation in the industry to lead to more jobs and reliabilty to ensure you stay with the company. The more experience the higher your earnings and the more sort after you are.

I'm no expert and I myself want to get into the indusrty but from my point of view, working in 3D is better than your average menial job.

Vancouver / London and LA are awash with skilled people . The problems companies have is getting experienced people willing to A move and B accept their pay offer.

Old 01 January 2013   #11
There's also companies out there that can use a 3D artist that perhaps don't know how to look for one since they don't usually do work with 3D.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Dillster: That's kind of over-simplifying a very complex area. Applying that to studies, almost everyone I know is going for Masters in whatever they are studying. We all know a Masters should can open doors, but when everyone around you also has a Masters it is like everyone coming to the same watering hole.

In my 20+ years in the games industry, I have never met anyone with a Masters degree. Maybe a few teachers had them because colleges often require it when teaching, but that's about all they are good for. Unless you are going in the more technical compsci direction, degrees mean next to nothing. Your reel, work experience and attitude are everything on the art or production side of things.

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Originally Posted by VisitorfromArea51: Do CG artists starve? Seems to me there are so many out there that the competition worldwide must force wages down.

Of course artists starve. Job is a job, there's always people taking your job, in whatever industry.

I blame humans. I mean, why the hell humans have so much sex, that we reach 7 billion.

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Originally Posted by gkmotu: a master means nothing if you cant take it anywhere...

You are missing my point, which was comparing to your comments "So people need to skill up if they starve, its not the industrys fault, its their own,..."

My point is that (like everyone doing a Masters) if everyone skills up to compete we are still left with the same situation. That is, tons and tons of upskilled people chasing the same jobs and lower wages.
In the Press industry when print media took a huge decline, savvy journos and photographers got wise and upskilled for different jobs, and got out in time.

Old 01 January 2013   #15
Dillster you talk about a theoretic situation thus it is not reality as I already mentioned.

My skillup statement deals with human/personal/emotional tactics, stickly. Not that one can put a technical production into a pipeline and make audience clap.

Also, there is not 2 men that are eaqual in terms of quality, life view or knowledge.
So let them skillup personal qualities to be better suited getting what they want, and you can be 100% not everyone will make it because they lack what it takes and that is where the Alphas gets seperated from the Beta crew.
Not anywhere else.

You can sit with the best intentions and be the sweetest guy knocking out stunning art, get pants pulled down at the burger joint where you work and get sallery reduction to a point you need to live on the street. yeah, that is life, if you suck at managing your talent you are destined to live on the street and its your own fault.

10 Manage
20 Communicate
30 goto 10
40 run

You make it sound that everyone are losers or going to lose the battle.
Its a false assumption.
Life is = a stack of winners and a stack of losers. Its not too complex.

I want to be a winner, I belive I am. my clients thinks I am a winner, the more I belive it and its backed up with success the more it enhances focus and it breeds more success.
But more important, I realy want you to get this feeling too

You will not succeed if you run down any other tactic other than luck. and my name is not Luke

Last edited by gkmotu : 01 January 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Closed share thread