Referencing files

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Referencing files

Hi,
Just a simple question for the other motion builders out there. I'm an animator working in MB 2011 and am looking to reference another file. So far I haven't been able to find the feature built into MB 2011 and am just starting to scour the web for a plugin. Does anyone know of one or a way to do it that might make my search quicker?
I'm looking to reference a file of the environment the characters will be in. This way the enviro guys can keep working on the environment while I animate in it. If I reference it they can make changes and updates that I'll automatically see as they update the referenced file, and they can adapt to changes that I need which again will filter back to my own file.

Thanks
Russ

The BEST way to get a crit is to give one, If I just gave you one, please return the favor.

www.russellstenberg.com

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Referencing Files - Added to Wishlist

As I know, There is no Built-in referencing files feature in Motionbuilder as there is in Maya or Max. I always get the final version of enviro and eliminate all object except which my characters may contact, And Export them with lowest subdivision level. But, I think it's a good idea for a quick tool that be able to always sync specific objects, Between a source file - a max or maya or any software file - and a MoBu compatible FBX file. Then you just open or merge that file for updated version. Or, It can be whole Referencing Plug-in with a lot of amazing feature!

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Thanks

Thanks YKarbaschi,
After a few hours searching online I came to that conclusion as well. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description of the plugin I was looking for. I moved on to persuade our tools programmer for a plugin that will do the trick. Thanks

The BEST way to get a crit is to give one, If I just gave you one, please return the favor.

www.russellstenberg.com

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I heard rumors that MB 2014 will have referencing, but I have no source about it (heard from a guy at work who talks regularly with autodesk..)

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread