jessierocket
portfolio
joanne
student
lincoln uni
grimsby, United Kingdom

importing c3d files into motion builder

Hi guys,
I'm new to the site and new to motion builder 2012 in general but i'm having a few issues with importing c3d files. I recorded some martial arts footage at uni and the tutor recently emailed me the files, but when I open them up in motion builder the dots load up under the grid and on it's side... The file plays the animation perfectly fine but I've not been able to load up the file any other way as the results are the same, and when I go to put the 'actor' character into the scene to start binding the dots to it, it loads up in the exact center of the grid on the top like it should do..
Does anyone know what it is i'm doing wrong please or if it's a fault of how the footage was recorded or emailed to me?
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
YKarbaschi
Yaser Karbaschi
Tehran, IR

Rotate the Reference

As I understood your issue, You can rotate the reference node of your optical data to the appropriate position and orientation, And then do the rest with actor and retargeting part.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
jessierocket
portfolio
joanne
student
lincoln uni
grimsby, United Kingdom

Hi thanks for responding. Would you be able to give me some instructions on how to do what you have suggested please?

Thanks again for answering, I appriciate it.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
YKarbaschi
Yaser Karbaschi
Tehran, IR

Select through "Navigator" or "Viewer" window. For Schematic View hit Ctrl+w. Then Move and Rotate to desired location. Find the attached files for a visual reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Navigator.jpg (20.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Viewer.jpg (43.2 KB, 4 views)

Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
jessierocket
portfolio
joanne
student
lincoln uni
grimsby, United Kingdom

Hi,
Thanks for replying again. I have followed through with what you said and I have managed to rotate the dots to the orgin mark. Only thing is that once the animation starts to play through the dots go right back under the grid again even when I try to keyframe the dots in place. Do you have any advice for this also please? I have also spoken with my sports prof and he is looking into the axis configeration of the recording equiptment as he said a lot of biomechanical software has the X,Y and Z axis lined up differently to that of animation/motion builder software.
Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
mcarrott
portfolio
Malcolm
New York, USA

I use Vicon Blade, and the c3d data we export always comes in upside down and to the right. All i have to do is grab the main sphere that's location at the center of the grid (hit ctrl + A to make sure its showing), and rotate it 180 degrees, and 90 degrees to make it right side up. However, it always stays in that position when i rotate; i never have to key anything. Its wierd that you would have to set a key. I would play with the motion file import settings. One time i had a separate issue, and it was solved by checking a different box when importing.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
jessierocket
portfolio
joanne
student
lincoln uni
grimsby, United Kingdom

Thank you for replying, That is indeed what the problem was and what you and the person above have suggested has worked and fixed the problem
Thank you both for replying, I appriciate you both taking the time out to help me.

All the best. JR

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread