Character: Dragon Snake

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2003
Character: Dragon Snake

This is my latest work. It was modeled and rendered in Blender 2.31. My aim was to develop a story where a dragon/snake mixture of an animal appears, but I'm not sure yet if works. Most people say that

a) the snake has a funny head
b) murenas don't crawl
c) dragons have wings and feet

I admit that there is something to it...

Please give me critique, but don't forget to say something nice after at least 10 bashing posts

12 December 2003
I like the modelling a lot, actually. It's a nice break frome the "standard" dragon form.

What needs improvement, IMO, is texturing. The snake could be a bit more seperated from the background, and there seems to be a lot of texture stretching going on - especially on the neck, the tail, and some trees.

12 December 2003
I love the modeling of the dragon. I agree that the textures need a little work. It seems that the textures on the dragon and the tree are so similar that the detail runs together a little (maybe it's camoflage ).

Blender is coming along very nicely as an application and how can you argue with free!

My Great Space Opera Project: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179598

12 December 2003
I like the modeling of the Dragon personally. The only critique I have is in regards to the surroundings. The trees need more texturing work. Blend on brother.

12 December 2003
hmm, I don't think the trees need work, i like the style this way. I do agree that the dragon (excellent modeling by the way) needs to be separated more from the background but I think picking a complete different base colour isn't the solution because it wouldn't be that believable since it's more logical an animal has the colour of it's surroundings (the way nature flows). I thought fixing the lighting, but that would destroy the mood. Maybe make the base colour dark green?

Oh and one thing: "dragons have wings and feet" sounds like a pretty strange suggestion. anyone ever seen one? Dragons are a fantasy creation and thus free to imagine how one likes. I strongly advice to keep it this way (especially the head) to keep it separated from the "normal" dragons.

One more thing is: why is the background whit? I would expect black..

nice piece

12 December 2003
It really blends into the background...maybe you intended it too? Regardless the model is pretty good but i dont see much resemblance to a dragon.

12 December 2003
I like this image, the mood of the trees are dark despite the background light, I say add more trees, less white bg, fix the texture on the tree that the head is on, other than that I think you've got great direction, and shows a lot of potential.

cheers, and may I say excellent blender skills.

12 December 2003
:)

hmmmmm, did you do this in blender?

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread